V8.2.1473.0 - Constant crashing when opening reocurring gcal items

I can reproduce this pretty easily. I click on a reocurring event and it either crashes immediately, or asks me if I want to edit a single or multiple event and then it crashes.

By crashing i mean it locks up for a long time and I have to force quit or kill the process.

This did not happen in V7. I’ve downgraded but V7 had a lot of limitations and frusturations so I tried v8 again

The cef log often has

[0908/082657.783:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0912/071848.515:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0914/123459.293:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0914/123615.457:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0914/123714.276:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0915/123338.608:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0915/134528.449:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0915/155212.513:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0918/195435.419:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0919/233711.058:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0920/135010.211:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0920/140923.276:ERROR:latency_info.cc(147)] RenderWidgetHostImpl::OnSwapCompositorFrame, LatencyInfo vector size 103 is too big.
[0921/145041.087:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0921/190234.936:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0922/153304.911:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0922/155007.047:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0922/155855.980:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0922/160132.561:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0926/132001.874:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0928/104031.063:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0928/105738.204:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[0928/114926.371:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(169)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization

the sqlite log often has dozens of these lines.

09/28/2021 18:49:28 283 recovered 1 frames from WAL file 

It does the same thing when I try to create a new event, the popup box for standard or online meeting comes up and then it locks up.

I enabled diagnostics for gcal, are these added elsewhere?

Some things you can try:

  1. Upgrade to the latest release, which you can get here: https://www.emclient.com/dist/v8.2.1509/setup.msi

  2. You can start eM Client with a different database and see if you get the same behaviour.
    To do that close eM Client, then open a Windows Command Prompt. Paste in the following command:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe" /dblocation C:\em
    Don’t forget the initial "

Now add the same calendar account, then try reproduce the crash.

If it doesn’t crash, then it most likely means that there is an issue with your previous database. That means you will need to delete it and start again.

Close eM Client and start it again as normal to use the old database. You can now delete the test folder C:\em

  1. Installed. Reproduced the error.
  • Ran command.
  • Added gcal
  • Approved via browser
  • Received “Communication with the previous instance failed. The other instance has to be ended in order to start the application.”
  • EmClient is stuck on This operation may take a while to complete.
    Please be patient.
  • Have been patient for an hour now.

I just tried all the steps again and the same thing happened

This is what the gcal approval looks like:

Next I tried removing emClient permissions from https://myaccount.google.com/permissions?utm_source=google-account&utm_medium=web

i then ran into the same “Communication with the previous instance failed. The other instance has to be ended in order to start the application.” cc @Gary

Can you select a different browser as default in your OS settings, and try the setup again.

You can change back to your normal afterwards.

I tried it on

  1. Edge
  2. Firefox
  3. Chrome
  4. Vivaldi.

All the same result.

image

i’ve finally managed to get over the “Communication with the previous instance failed. The other instance has to be ended in order to start the application.” issue

however, I am still getting a frozen/locking up in the most recent version of emClient on one desktop (but not the other). I’ve upgraded to pro as of last week so I’d love to get this resolved on my desktop

to clarify—I can get emclient started via "C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe" /dblocation C:\em — but the calendar syncs and then I click on an item and it either crashes or freezes hard