use 'display as' field for names of contacts in received e-mails

I would like to see the ‘display as’ value of an e-mail address of a contact to be shown in received e-mails instead of the current value (which is determined by the sender of the e-mail, I suppose).

suppose my e-mail address is name@host.country.

suppose the ‘display as’ value for this e-mail address is ‘Hans’.

If someone sends me an e-mail, I would like to see that the recipient (me in this case), is ‘Hans’, and not how I’m stored in the e-mail system of the sender.

Hi, this can be workarounded by adding yourself into contacts. Then you will be shown by your name in received emails to your address.

Jan

I am already in my contacts.

I’m not talking about only *my* display name value, I’m talking about the display name value of people of whom I’m receiving e-mails.

Those people need to have set their display name on their server, without it eM client will show only email address.

Jan

I know…but in Thunderbird I can decide how the ‘display name’ of a sender looks like in the e-mails I’m receiving.

So instead of e.g. a Russian name (which I can not read), I can specify an English name for this person as ‘display name’ for his e-mail address.

Then I can see from whom that specific e-mail is.

Unfortunately this is not possible, you will have to create contact for that email with your desired name.
Only way how to gain names from server we plan to support is the one currently used.

Jan

I already do have contacts for those e-mails…

I think it works now like this:

* suppose I have a contact with e-mail address donald.duck@disney.com

* I have a display name for this contact as “Disney: Donald Duck”

* this person sends me an e-mail…but he has specified as his name “Mickey”

* when I receive his e-mail, I see as name ‘Mickey’, while I would like to see the name “Disney: Donald Duck” as specified by my self in the ‘display name’ field belonging to the e-mail address donald.duck@disney.com

Any plans on implementing this idea? I get e-mails from Russian and Chinese people … I can not read Russian nor Chinese, but those e-mails are important for me.

In the current situation I see just Russian and Chinese characters for the names of the senders of the e-mails in the list/grid/table with e-mails.

I would like to see there the ‘display as’ name as specified by me in my contacts, so I can see a name in English characters.

Hi,

I know this thread is old, but this is a great Thunderbird feature that I’m missing as well. It is not difficult to implement… would it be possible to add it to your todo list?

Thank you for the new version!

Excellent suggestion…eMClient  should pay attention to their competition.  But, based on the response, eMClient doesn’t even understand the issue.  Doesn’t any one there use email?

Hi,

In The latest version, when opening a contact, next to their email there is a contact icon. Clicking on it will show a “Display as” field, which (I imagine) should probably do what is asked in this thread, but for me it doesn’t do anything. If I put the desired name, nothing changes and when em Client is restarted the field is blank. I do sync my contacts with gmail so there might be a problem there.

I hope this works for someone.

I agree it is a great idea. Especially for those contacts I have who can’t seem to be able to spell their own names, it would be preferable to pull the name from contacts than from the email header!

Hey Alex. Yes, for me it also reverts to blank on GMail contacts. I guess there is no corresponding field when it syncs. On a local address book it works just fine.

From the help file:
  ![](http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/display as.png “Image: http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/display as.png”)

The display name for the contact’s email addresses can provide a way to identify the E-Mail in case the email address does not contain any distinguishing identifiers or your personal preferences.

![](http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/display as sending email.png “Image: http://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/7.0/eMClient/Content/Resources/Images/display as sending email.png”)

Many people sync contacts between desktops, laptops, phones, tablets etc. So it’s a shame this doesn’t work for Gmail. If it doesn’t work with Gmail then it cannot be used by many people

Personally I liked Thunderbid’s implementation which didn’t seem to need any additional sync fields. It just showed you the contact name as you had it in your address book. Clean and easy to use  (and I would think easy to implement for the developers).