UPDATE: Temporary License Issues

Hello everybody,

Some users were asked to purchase the license in order to continue using our product.
We are very sorry if you were affected by this issue.
Issue occurred in our system and we assure you that this is not intentional.
Currently we are looking into it and it should be fixed soon, this is our top priority at the moment.
Please accept our apology for caused inconvenience and we hope that you will stick with us until it is resolved.
If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Update:

Issue duration was around one hour but currently it is fixed.
For those users who still have this issue, please try to restart the application.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I understand problems happen but you should rethink your license verification strategy to avoid leaving people without a critical work tool.

Hello Everyone,

we owe an explanation and big apology to all people who were affected by the issue. We are still recovering from the situation and our support staff is quite overwhelmed, so the responses may still be slightly delayed.

What happened?

On May 2 we issued an update to eM Client version 7.0.30068 to fix an issue with the translation service. We had to migrate to a slightly different setup due to changes to the Microsoft Translator API (https://translatorbusiness.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1078534-action-required-before-april…). This was a minor update and the change itself was already tested widely as part of our open beta for version 7.1. We gradually started distributing the update to our users and watched for any feedback or problems.

In the last few days, we have received a number of problem reports related to the new version. We decided to pause the update roll-out while we investigate the reports. In the meantime, we wanted to roll-back the version on the web to the previously released one.

Due to an error in one of our systems, the rollback to older version caused the licensing server to block out people who already updated to the new version. Since eM Client doesn’t recheck the license all the time it affected only a small but still significant number of people.

As soon as we noticed the problem we immediately blocked out our licensing server from answering to any license check requests to prevent further damage. Within 10 minutes we found the issue, fixed it and deployed the fix.

I want to assure everyone that we are taking steps to prevent a problem like this from happening again. It was an unusual case where our caution about releasing a possibly troublesome update resulted in an even bigger problem.