unable to start eM Client/can't restore from backup

I have recently been unable to open eM Client. When I try to open it I get the following message:

System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException (0x80004005): database disk image is malformed
database disk image is malformed
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Prepare(SQLiteConnection cnn, String strSql, SQLiteStatement previous, UInt32 timeoutMS, String& strRemain)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.BuildNextCommand()
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.GetStatement(Int32 index)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader.NextResult()
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader…ctor(SQLiteCommand cmd, CommandBehavior behave)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection.Open()
   at MailClient.Storage.Data.DataStore.GetConnection(String relativeName)
   at DbRepair.CorruptionChecker.CheckCorruption()
   at DbRepair.FormCheck.Check(Object state)

I have tried deleting the original database and reinstalling eM Client, however, when I attempt to restore from a back up I get an error message that says:

Selected folder does not contain any backup files.

Please help if you can. I’ve got several very important emails locked up in this program.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello Chris,

Could you please check if the folder that is set as default for saving backups contains a .zip file called “backup_yeardatetime”? It is usually either in Documents or in Documents -> eM Client, unless you chose a different location.

Regards,
Maurice

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
To answer your question: Yes, that .zip file exists in the Em Client folder in Documents.

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris,

Does this error pop up when you try to restore through Menu -> File -> ‘Restore…’? Could you please send us a screenshot of this error?
Also, what version of eM Client was the backup created in? If it was created in version 6 and you are now using version 7, you would need to unzip the file and import the data through Menu -> File -> Import -> ‘Import data from eM Client 6.’

Regards,
Maurice

Hi Maurice,

The attached error pops up when attempting to restore through Menu->File->Restore…

The backup .zip file is dated December 1, 2016 so I think it is a Ver. 7 backup, however, I did unzip the file and attempted to import it but the same error message came up.

Question: Does an email account need to be setup in order for the account data to be restored?
The reason I ask is that I haven’t set up my email account in eM Client yet since reinstalling. I was hoping to avoid overwriting the emails that would be downloaded from the server following account setup with a backup restore. Please advise.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello Chris,

Whether you email account is or isn’t set up doesn’t influence the restoring option. Could we please see a screenshot of the content of the .zip file?

If you are a PRO user, we could arrange a teamviewer session which would enable a member of our support team to help you directly.

Thank you,
Maurice

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the clarification.

The following is a screenshot of the contents of the .zip file per your request:

Unfortunately I’m not a Pro user.

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris,

The database in the backup unfortunately looks rather empty. I’m afraid there is nothing we can do to help. Do you have your data on the server?

Regards,
Maurice

Hi Maurice,

Thank you for getting back to me.
The data that has accumulated since it was last downloaded (prior to having the problem) will still be on the server, however, the older emails that I am most interested in recovering won’t be. Obviously the backup is useless but what about the original database (…Appdata
Thanks,

Chris

Hello Chris,

It is unfortunately not possible to extract the data from a corrupted database on a user level. We’re sorry for the loss, but in general it is safer to keep the data on the server.

Regards,
Maurice

Hello Maurice,

Thank you for your attempts to help.
I’m disappointed that the eM Client backup system has proven to be unreliable. As such I’m going to uninstall eM Client and give Windows Mail a try.
I hope you’re having a terrific holiday season.

Best regards,

Chris

Hello Chris,

We’re sorry to hear that you aren’t happy with eM Client. We’d however protest against the backup system being called unreliable as its serves well the majority of users. There’s nothing that can be done e.g. about the interruption of the backup process that may result in an incomplete backup.

Wishing you all the best in the holiday season as well,
Maurice