Unable to backup

Hi, I’ve been using eM Client for several years without any problems. Suddenly, I am unable to backup. I just get a message saying “An error occurred - database or disk is full”. I usually back up to an external drive (with ~500GB free), but I have also tried backing up to my internal D: (with 550Gb free). It makes no difference.
I have deleted all mails older than 01/01/2017 from my database (which should have dramatically reduced it’s size) but this also made no difference.
There are no errors shown when I open eM client

How do I get it to back up successfully?

The log says:
09:34:56 Database backup: Failed
09:34:57   System.IO.IOException: database or disk is full —> System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException: database or disk is full
09:34:57    at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteBlob.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, Int32 offset)
09:34:57    at MailClient.Storage.Data.BlobStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
09:34:57    — End of inner exception stack trace —
09:34:57    at MailClient.Storage.Data.BlobStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
09:34:57    at MailClient.Streams.StreamHelper.CopyStream(Stream inputStream, Stream outputStream, Nullable1 cancellationToken, ProgressReporter reporter) 09:34:57    at MailClient.Storage.Data.DatabaseCopyTool.CopyContents(Table table, Boolean sortDesc) 09:34:57    at MailClient.Storage.Data.DatabaseCopyTool.CopyTableData(Table table) 09:34:57    at MailClient.Storage.Data.DatabaseCopyTool.CopyInternal(String specificTable, Boolean copyIndexesViewsAndTriggers) 09:34:57    at MailClient.Storage.Data.DatabaseCopyTool.CopySchema(String schema) 09:34:57    at MailClient.Storage.Data.DbRepository1.Backup(String dataStoreLocation, SQLiteConnection sourceConnection, SQLiteConnection destinationConnection, CancellationToken token, TransferredSizeUpdated parentProgressTracker)
09:34:57    at MailClient.Storage.Backup.RepositoryBackupTool.DoLiveBackup(DataStore targetDataStore, CancellationToken token, TransferredSizeUpdated parentProgressTracker)
09:34:57    at MailClient.Accounts.ItemRepositories.DoLiveBackup(DataStore targetDataStore, CancellationToken token, TransferredSizeUpdated progressTracker)
09:34:57    at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.DoLiveBackup(DataStore targetDataStore, CancellationToken token, AccountNameChanged accountChangeTracker, TransferredSizeUpdated percentTracker)
09:34:57    at MailClient.Scheduler.Tasks.BackupTask.PerformBackup(CancellationToken token, String tempDirectory)
09:34:57    at MailClient.Scheduler.Tasks.BackupTask.DoWork(IWin32Window owner, CancellationToken token, IScheduler scheduler, ReportProgress progressReporter)
09:34:57    at MailClient.Scheduler.Scheduler.<>c__DisplayClass15_1.b__0(Object state)

Maybe an eM Client employee can confirm, but as far as I know you need the same amount of free space in your temp directory as the size of the eM Client database to do a backup.

How much free space do you have on your C: drive?

Hi Gary,

693Gb free on C! I’ve just tried creating a new storage folder in C:\users\roaming\ and restored a 5 day old backup. This was created before removing all the old mails and so is much larger than the current on should be. I changed where eM Client is looking for it’s storage to match the new folder name and now I can back up again. Presumably this means that my current database is corrupt in someway that the start-up checks don’t find.
I guess I’ll just have to manually transfer any new mails out of the current database into the older backup and then continue to use the backup.

Thanks for the reply!
Robert

Hi Robert.

Yes, you can do that, or you can you set the location back to the original then close eM Client and run C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\ DbRepair.exe. 

See if that makes any difference with backup.

Thanks again Gary,
I tried the DBrepair route and it didn’t appear to find anything. However, it has caused the error message when I try to back up to change to : An error occurred: database disk image is malformed".
It’s not a problem as I’ve got the back up database up to date now and created some new backups just in case.

Thanks for your help!
Robert