Transferring eM Client to new PC

Am moving to a new PC and would like to transfer all email data.  Have tried Menu > File > Backup, but cannot find the backup file anywhere.  What is the name of the file and is there any indication that the files were actually backed up? PLEAS get back as soon as you can.  Thanks.  Michael

Hi Michael.

By default the backup file should be in C:\Users_[username]_\Documents\eM Client. It will be a file named backup_*.zip.

If it is not there check in Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Backup, for the target directory.

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, backup_*.zip not anywhere on hard disk.  The last backup files shown are before 2018.

Tried Menu > File > Backup again.  When I click when prompted to backup data, nothing - as in nothing - happens.

Don’t know why that is not working.

The other option is to copy the complete C:\Users[username]\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ directory from the one computer to the other. You may have to show hidden items in Explorer to get there, and eM Client needs to be closed on both for this to work.

You also should deactivate the license on the old machine. To do that go to Menu > Help > License.

That sounds like a plan!  If I deactivate the license on the OLD computer, what must I do to Activate it on the new computer?

To activate, go to Menu > Help > License and click on Activate.

Won’t have to provide login info, IMAP, etc?

Everything should be exactly as on the old computer, except the license will not be activated.

Thanks.  Will give it a shot.

The new computer doesn’t show the AppData folder.  Will be moving to Win 10. Do you happen to know how to “unhide” the AppData folder?

You need to enable hidden items in Windows Explorer.

Or you can just type %appdata% in the location bar.

Worked like a charm!

Moving the old AppData/emclient folder to the new computer and then Activating the License did the trick.

Thank you.

This is strange!

All was working fine and then I received the dreaded red triangle.  And then - after all was good - I had to Activate the program again, and then it asked for an Activation Key, which I don’t have.

Have no idea where that came from.

Please help if you can.

Mike

Spoke too soon.  found the Activation key.