Thunderbird import fails with data format or file structure unknown or corrupt

I am trying to import data from Thunderbird v24.5.0 to eM Client v6.0.20320.0.  I select File -> Import, Import from Thunderbird, Import whole account(s).  It then opens a window with 2 items checked - one with a blank name and a type of POP3, another with a name of Local Folders with a type of Local.  I click on the Finish button.  It then opens a window with the message “Importing Address Book”.  Then it gets the following error:
Error occurred during import process.  Data format or file structure unknown or corrupt.

When I go return to eM client, my contacts seem to be there.  I have not verified this.

The account seems to be setup.  But I have no messages.

Hi, can you please go to Tools > Accounts > Your account > IMAP/SMTP and check the settings of your account? Maybe make a screenshot of these settings and post it here…
POP3 accounts are only used for receiving new email on your server, that might be the cause of your issue, I suggest using an IMAP account, all your email are then synchronized with the server, including calendars, tasks and contacts.

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul,
Thank you for the reply.  Hopefully, I’ve attached the screenshot.

There are also setting under POP3.

I haven’t tried to pick up mail yet.

However, this doesn’t solve my problem.  How do I get all the emails in Thunderbird into eM Client?  I have lots of local folders with emails in them.

Thanks,
Frank

There’s the screenshot.

Frank

Hi again Frank, instead of using the “Import whole account(s)” option in Import you have to use the “Import selected folders”, and select the local folders for import.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hi Paul,
I have bad new and good news.

I did File -> Import,  Import Selected Folders.  I select Local Folders as shown in attached screen shot.

I then chose ‘Import data into default root folders of the selected account.’.  It seems to process the Address Book and then fails with the original error.

If I go back and uncheck “Personal Address Book 4.x”, it appears to work.  But I now have multiple copies of my Contacts.  

But I still have no email in my Inbox.
In Thunderbird, I have the following:

Can I get this imported into eM Client?  There are lots of emails in those folders that I need in eM Client.

Do you know why there is on IMAP tab for my account in eM client?

Thanks,
Frank

Hi Did you import your account from Thunderbird, please try setting the account manually with settings provided by your mail service provider. There’s no IMAP tab because you’re currently using a POP3 account, even though it seems like you’re using IMAP in Thunderbird.

Using IMAP might solve your issue with unavailable email.

Also if you’re seeing duplicate contacts, you can use the deduplicator feature in Tools > Deduplicator and use it on the contacts folder, where you have duplicate items.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Paul,
Yes I did import the account from Thunderbird.

I tried to disable the POP3 service.  But I get an error message that says:
The Mail service is required by default mail account.

I’m going to try creating a new account using IMAP.  I’ll them import selected folders into this account.  If this works, I’ll make it the default and delete the original.  I’ll post later how this works.

Thanks,
Frank

Paul,
I was able to create a new account.  I used the automatic feature of eM client.  It setup the account to use IMAP.  I am able to receive email but only new emails.

So I still have the same problem.  I have lots of email in Thunderbird.  These emails are stored on my computer because I was using POP3.  Is there a way to import these messages into eM Client?

Thanks,
Frank

Hi, can you please send me an email to mcgregor@emclient.com with a reference link to this forum topic?

Thank you,
Paul.