The google "less-secure apps" problem

Hi - I see this thread from 5 years ago addressing my issue, but it leaves us hanging.

So, I am asking:

• what is the latest advice from emclient as to settings for accessing google accounts so that this “enable access to less secure apps” setting on google does not have to be checked? Or is this more of a problem on the google side? I have had this problem for years with my previous email client accessing google and I am seriously tired of the problem. Also, I am not technical, so my expectation in paying for a new email client is:

• Please make the solution very easy to implement for a non-technical person
    or

• Please explain how google makes this impossible.

You no longer need to use “Less Secure” for sometime now with eM Client. EMC will work fine now with Google Secure access enabled.

You can also enable Google 2 step verification in Google online and eM Client also now supports that.

Note:- When you have Google 2 Step verification enabled, Google don’t allow you to use the Less secure option.

Latest versions for Pc and Mac if you don’t have it - https://www.emclient.com/release-history

1 Like

Hi - unfortunately this has not been the case for me so far. I loaded up my emclient recently not having used it for awhile and, as per usual, had trouble with google mail until I went online and checked off to allow less secure apps.

My version is 8.1.1054

I will consider enabling 2 factor authentication if I have to on my gmail accounts, but I would prefer some less cumbersome solution.

cyberzork

1d

You no longer need to use “Less Secure” for sometime now with eM Client. EMC will work fine now with Google Secure access enabled.

You can also enable Google 2 step verification in Google online and eM Client also now supports that.

Note:- When you have Google 2 Step verification enabled, Google don’t allow you to use the Less secure option.

Latest versions for Pc and Mac if you don’t have it - https://www.emclient.com/release-history

The only time eM Client has ever needed less secure apps for connecting to Gmail is with POP3. That is a fairly standard requirement among email applications.

Can you please update to the latest version in the Release History and see if there is any difference.

Hi if I do check for update, then it says I have the latest version, but I will look later to see if there is some manual way to do this.

In any event, I am using pop3 (and have no plans to change to IMAP) so, if you’re saying that’s the explanation, and this is what I will find with other clients, then that would seem to be the same answer.

As an aside - I do find it a bit ironic that, in the name of security, we are all then pushed toward a solution that involves us leaving the entirety of our email on servers around the world.

1 Like

Yes, with POP3 you need to enable less secure apps in your Gmail settings. That will be the same regardless of what email client you are using. At least that is my experience.

That is not what I said to do. I said to update to the latest version listed in the Release History. But anyway, as you have confirmed you are using POP3, the update will not make any difference as less secure apps will still need to be enabled.

Unless you are using Yahoo!, your email provider might actually be more secure than your home computer, so there is also that to consider. Also, your messages still need to pass through a provider, so whether they are stored on their server or not probably doesn’t make much difference because if someone wants to get to them, they will be able to regardless.

1 Like

I personally only use IMAP access these days as per the advantages of Secure access online with 2 step verification like in Gmail & the email being available “on all devices at the same time”. Also the ability to send email from any device “without any issues of changing smtp server address’s” like i used to with POP when i go overseas is great. The best thing is no more backing up my email to my local computer as its in the cloud.

Ps If you are Gmail and are worried about your email online, there is companies like eg: (Spinbackup) who specialize in mirroring your entire Google account everyday to their cloud servers and also have different logins than your Google account where you can restore email, photos, documents etc anytime if needed. I know lots of private peeps & companies who do that.

And there is also eM Client’s own backup feature.

1 Like

That’s true, it not what you said to do! :slight_smile: I’ll take what I can get from community user input, but there are just times when I’m going to exercise my own judgment as well.

Thanks,