Text of messages lost since update, titles remain

Installed update 8.2 today - 8 April - apparently genuine from eMClient and immediately lost the text from all messages; only the headings remain now. Tried to repair the software but that was no help - ie, all is still the same.

If the account is setup as IMAP can you remove the account from eM Client then add it back again.

Before removing accounts, make a backup using Menu > Backup.

I’ve had exactly the same thing happen.

Its also lost a lot of relatively recent emails as well.

I think that it happened a week ago or so.

It is, today, showing the text for some (random) messages but less than 20% of all. I have no idea what’s going on or what’s happened, but it is a nuisance (at best).

Thank you. Your help is really appreciated. I’ve tried to make a backup but the system won’t let me. It says it needs to go to/use a file name “xxx” in the “user” folder. That file is reported as there by the system but, back in eM Client, the system says that it’s not there. I tried to change file location but am “not allowed” to do that. I tried to change the route and/or location in the relevant place within the eM system but am not allowed to do that, either. Not sure what approach to take next. All that I want to keep in the way of messages is always backed up anyway at/on my ISP, so maybe I should just disconnect then reconnect the account.

Yes, if your messages are synced with a server, there is not much reason to make a backup in this instance.

I have started adding that line to my comments just in case the user accidentally deletes the wrong account or something else goes wrong. Then a restore puts it back where it was, and we can start over.

Thank you. Very helpful again. I feel more comfortable now because some things seem to be as expected, on the basis of your comments.