Sync email notes

I’m really interested in upgrading to V9 Pro for the new email notes feature. I have coworkers that love to send emails with no subject or context related to a project. Now I’ll be able to add hastags and notes-to-self that I can search for. My question is: I use eM Client on a couple different machines and use a self-hosted IMAP server (Helm). Is there a way to sync these notes between computers or are the notes local only to the machine they were added to?

My question is: I use eM Client on a couple different machines and use a self-hosted IMAP server (Helm). Is there a way to sync these notes between computers or are the notes local only to the machine they were added to?

(em Client V9 notes support blog).

eM Client fully supports local and server-side synching of Notes. Write fancy notes with pictures and attachments, organize them via tags, and sync notes across all your devices. Works with Exchange, Office365 and IceWarp

Also if you have a personal Microsoft Exchange account, if you add your personal ms account manually in accounts as Exchange acct (Manually), you can then sync notes to your exchange EWS server to eM Client and all your devices like IMAP.

See this thread for how to sync notes in Exchange for personal Microsoft acct

https://forum.emclient.com/t/notes-do-not-sync-correct/62953

So if your self hosted setup Helm IMAP server can be setup or configured as an eg: exchange EWS business or personal type server it will work with synching notes as in the eM Client blog.

eM Client as an exchange setup.

https://www.emclient.com/em-with-microsoft-exchange

If you don’t know if it can be configured like that as exchange, contact Helm support.

Thanks for the reply. This is good info regarding the standard notes feature, but I’m talking about the email notes feature that was just introduced in V9. I was wondering if they are synced back to the server via IMAP like read status and message location are.

Oh is this is what you mean ?. Quick notes with the Pro version of eM Client V9…

I don’t think Quicknotes search syncs across multiple IMAP devices.

Yep! If I give a quick note to a particular email, I’d like to know if that note will carry over to my other computer. It doesn’t help too much if it’s only available/searchable from the computer that the note was added on.

Yep! If I give a quick note to a particular email, I’d like to know if that note will carry over to my other computer

I don’t believe it synces to any other devices via IMAP server as it’s (a local feature) in eM Client and not server side based like exchange etc.

However someone will update this thread if it does.

You are correct, it doesn’t sync through IMAP. It does through EWS though, so if you have the same account setup as Exchange on two devices using eM Client, the notes on the messages will sync.

1 Like

So if I have Account A added as an Exchange server, all quick Notes related to emails in this account will sync.
But if Account B, an IMAP account, is added, quick notes on this account does not sync?
Or can they sync still, somehow utilizing Account A? :thinking: :nerd_face:

Account A doesn’t sync with server B. That is not possible.
Account A only syncs with server A.

Thanks! I kinda expected that. Can I somehow manually backup/sync the locally stored Quick Notes for Account B to another computer/installation of eMClient? :nerd_face:

If the messages are synced with an Exchange account, and the same account is setup as Exchange on another device, then yes, they will sync.

1 Like

I was thinking IMAP (account B). Can I somehow sync the locally stored profile/config, so that the notes sync to another installation of eMClient? :sweat_smile:

No, notes on messages can’t be synced with IMAP.

I got that. So, can I somehow, using rsync or whatever, sync the locally stored data/profile to another computer? :nerd_face:

If the messages are synced with a server using Exchange, then they can sync their notes to another installation of eM Client also setup with the same account using Exchange.

Otherwise, no, they can’t sync.

Feels like you’re answering a different question than I’m trying to ask. (English is not my native tongue, so sorry if it’s badly worded.) :blush:

I’m not asking if eMClient can sync quick notes for non-EWS accounts, but if I manually can sync the eMClient config/profile/data to another computer, and in that way retain quick notes in both locations (for non-EWS accounts).
And if so, where to look for what files/directories to sync/not to sync? :sweat_smile:

I don’t know another way to say this, but let me try.

eM Client can only sync message notes between different eM Client installations if the account is setup as Exchange in both installations.

If they are not, then no, they can’t sync message notes. That means either automatically, manually or magically. Only if both devices have the same account setup as Exchange, will the notes sync between them.

2 Likes

So, manually syncing config files, database(s) etc. between computers will not work/is not recommended? :thinking:

(Was hoping maybe there was a Local.db or something I could just keep synced between installations.) :nerd_face:

I said no.

eM Client can only sync message notes between different eM Client installations if the account is setup as Exchange in both installations.

2 Likes

So, this is concerning. If I make a complete backup of eM Client, get a new computer and restore said backup, I lose all my notes simply because I don’t have an Exchange account?

1 Like