Switched to POP3 (how to switch back to IMAP

Hi.
I originally set up my account as IMAP as I access my email from my PC, phone and at work. Recently, I noticed that my emails on the email server had disappeared. After investigation, it seems that eM client was not POP3 and was deleting my emails off the server after 10 days. I have disabled the deleting of emails. It defiantly wasn’t always set this was as I have always had access to all my email on the server up until now.

1. I cant seem to figure how to switch back to IMAP

2. All me emails still being on my PC, s there a way to sync them back to my email server (iinet)

Kind regards,
Chris

Hi Chris.

Because the two protocols are so different, you can’t switch between them. You need to delete the POP3 account, then add it again but as an IMAP account. 

Before you delete the POP3 account, you want to move all the messages to Local Folders, because deleting the account will delete all the messages. If Local Folders are not visible you can enable them in Menu > Tools > Settings > Show Local Folders. When you have all the messages moved, make a backup (Menu > File > Backup) just in case, then go to Menu > Tools > Accounts and delete the POP3 account.

Still in accounts, add a new account by clicking on the + icon. Usually the Automatic Setup will setup the accounts as IMAP, so just enter your email address and follow the setup. When it is done, click on the account and you should have something like this:

If you end up with a POP3 tab instead, then you will need to delete the account again, and set it up manually. For the manual setup, instead of Automatic Setup, choose Mail > Other.

After entering your credentials, you will be able to choose between POP3 and IMAP.

Once the account is setup as IMAP, (verified by seeing an IMAP tab in the account settings) you can move the messages from Local Folders to the IMAP folders. They will then be available on all the devices connected to that account.