Subfolders are always hidden

I recently discovered the hide/unhide folder options which are great except you have to set them up one at a time which in my case is a lot of work.

But more importantly what I found out is that subfolders won’t appear even if they have new mail. That needs fixed.

subfolders won’t appear even if they have new mail

Sub folders are not meant to show automatically even with mail (if they are hidden). You have to choose whether to show them or not by design. It was done this way in V8 onwards to look more streamlined particularly with multiple accounts.

So eM Client leaves it up to the user to show them or not via the show / hide option.

The way to handle this is with Favorites. Favorites by default has a “folder” called Unread. It will list all unread emails, so everything that is still unread after you finish all inboxes, will be there. It will be open and bold.

1 Like

It makes no sense to me to hide all the other higher level folders and display them only when they have mail and then leave the subfolders to have to be exposed to be able to see if they have mail or hidden and have no clue. Lower levels will obviously have more folders using up more real estate but most likely get less mail. In fact if you were going to do this it should be the complete opposite of what’s been done where lower levels would be hidden until mail arrives. Personally since folder “recursiveness” has been developed there are very few places, if any, that it’s not used.

I’ll give it a try and see how I like it.

I set a high-level folder to a Favorite which there’s no way to tell what’s a favorite and what isn’t? Under the few folders I set to favorites it still has the option to set them to favorites. I don’t see any folder named Unread but you’re saying it will only be there if there are Unread favorites or unread of anything?

@Cityguy

I don’t see any folder named Unread

If you have enabled Favorites via “Menu / Settings” and don’t see the Unread folder.

You can “right click” on the favorites global folder at the top and click the option on the dropdown to show the “Unread folder” all the time which will then show unread messages in any acct folder.

eM Client info on Favorites global folder.

https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/188/11/what-are-the-favorite-folders

Also you cannot drag a whole folder tree under favorites. See @Gary extract from the following thread.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/folder-with-sub-folders-in-favorites/74286

“You can add any folder to Favorites, but not a whole tree”.

“The purpose of Favorites is to have a few selected folders there, not whole trees”.

I don’t get all this adding to favorites stuff. Here’s my default setup. It already has an unread folder:

unread

You can see that there are 2 items currently in unread. I have no idea what folders they might be in, but I can read them here. No need to add stuff to the favorites folder, though that is possible, it is not needed to get to messages embedded in folders below the fold.

1 Like

@steveshank

I don’t get all this adding to favorites stuff. Here’s my default setup. It already has an unread folder:

Yes you don’t normally need to do that to see the unread (as you said), but if it doesn’t appear as @Cityguy advised that’s how to show it again.

1 Like

Thank you. I guess I didn’t read carefully enough. I thought what was hidden was just subfolders down below on the mail list.

I have no Favorites folder nor Unread folder even though I have unread items an I have added folders to Favorites to see what would happen…

@Cityguy

I have no Favorites folder nor Unread folder even though I have unread items an I have added folders to Favorites to see what would happen

If you don’t see the Favorites folder in eM Client, click “Menu / Settings / General” and tick the box “Show Favorites Folder” where you will then see the Favourites folder as in @steveshank example above.

eM Client V9 Windows example below.

1 Like

OK I got favorites and the Unread and some other virtual folders are inside.

Thanks

1 Like