Startup password required

I’ve downloaded and installed the free version of eM Client 3 and when I start the progam, a window opens with a heading, Startup password required, and it states, Application startup is password protected. Please insert a password to continue.
Can you please help as the password I was sent when I registered for an activation key does not work. Many thanks. Sam

Hello,
password is probably stored in eM Client database directory from some previous installation of it. It is C:\Users[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\eM Client (on Windows Vista/Windows 7) or C:\Documents and Settings[your user name]\Application Data\eM Client (on Windows XP). If you remove/rename the directory you will have clean database without password protection. But be aware you will loose all your settings.

Me too…I have used the same client for 10 months.

Either

1. someone I know has put a password requirement on my pc (which is possible as I did let someone used my pc)

OR

1. its a bug

as now I need to put a password in that I DONT KNOW??

HOW do I get in without know password??

IS THERE a work around this major issue for me?

HELP APPRECIATED!!

We don’t know the password either. It’s not being sent to us, it’s just local protection. We can diagnose the issue if you send us the main.dat file from the eM Client data directory (see post by Gabriel for the exact location).

I have normally simply openned my EMclient! no password.

YET someone has put a password on my EM client so when I open EMclient it comes up with please type in password. When I try and a password which is wrong of course it simply closes and WONT let me into my EM client…help I need my emails?

How do I log in? or do a work around?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
EMclient password?.

after 10 months of full use… on openning the client every morning… I “now” get a pop up saying a “password required”?

I dont know of any password I have set!

I didnt set this and NOW “I cant get into my emails”…

WHAT DO I DO AS I NEED TO ACCESS MY EMAIL??

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Password required.

fILIP,

i UNDERSTAND… YET as I dont know or have THE password "HOW DO I GET AROUND THIS SO I CANT GET INTO MY EMAIL???

Can I get into my emails or remedy this??

(Im not sure but think someone has meliciously password protected it and now “I” the owner cant get into valuable emails)

Send us email to [email protected] with reference to your problem and we will give you further instructions.

Another option is to rename/delete eM Client database directory (C:\Users[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\eM Client or C:\Documents and Settings[your user name]\Application Data\eM Client) and you will start again. But be aware this will delete all your settings (and password protecting application use) and local items.

does deleting this file ALSO wipe/delete/lose all the clients

-email data and or

• contacts?

It will delete only locally stored (i.e. in Local Folders) ones. Contacts and emails at server won’t be touched.