Spell Check on Send

You can always invoke it manually with F7, but there is no reason to have it popup when you click send as the application is automatically checking spelling as you type.

I agree with T Elrod.  And from the posts on this thread,  lots of other people do too.  I feel there is no reason not to allow users to configure it to pop up when we click send.  I type fast and don’t always correct as I go.  It is much easier for me to spellcheck at the very end, right before sending.  The way outlook pops up and lets you easily correct everything right before sending, without having to do it as you type a long email is better for me.  Give users a choice.  It’s a simple enhancement that would clearly be popular, why not?  Folks that don’t care or don’t need it would not have to use it.  This goes back years and people keep asking for it. 

I guess eM Client has decided to go the automatic as-you-type route. Maybe you can blame Android or iOS for setting the trend.  Fortunately it does not matter how fast you type Sam, the auto check can keep up with you. :slight_smile:

The brief look I had at the upcoming 7.2 release did not include this feature request, other than the same choice you now have to use F7 before you send.

I know it can keep up with me.  I did not explain that well, but for me I don’t want to keep looking at the screen and correcting as I type as it slows me down.  I like to correct at the end in one step without having to go through and look for the squigglies or hitting F7.  I understand the advancements in UI.  But the feature is there, people would use it and have asked for it for years.  And it is such a simple ask.  No reason not to include it.  My opinion.

I came from thunderbird, and outlook express before that and both give (gave) the option to have an “automatic F7” before the message is sent.

I think all we are asking here is that option. If you are happy manually checking your typing, then it can be your choice. This can’t be that hard to code…

Really, it’s not a hard feature to provide and is common in so many other email apps, why create negative views of the program and not do it ???

Original post was from 8 YEARS ago!!!

REALLY??!?!

I guess it is either not that easy to change the code, or it is not the direction that eM Client Inc. wishes to take.

Maybe that will change, and everyone can be happy. Now if you want to throw predictive text in the mix so that you don’t need to look at the screen at all . . . . . 

All it would take is a call to the script, app, or whatever they use to manually run the spell check when you click the send button.  I would take 1 line of code to call it  . . . .

Then, if it is that simple, I guess that the reason it has not been implemented is because that is not the direction they want to go. 

If you have a Pro License, Dean, you can always open a support ticket. It is not meant for feature requests, but you will get some official contact with the developers.

Well, we know how well the predictive texting works on our smartphones , when we have to send that follow up text explaining what we really meant to say.

Email is supposed to be something that we take a bit more time on, and spell things properly. I got caught yesterday forgetting that I had to manually check my spelling and I will manually hit F7 before every send now. What I’d like to post is “I really love the way the new automatic spell check works in this app”

I suppose it is just one of those things you are not going to be able to say about eM Client. :wink:

Yes Gary, I did raise a request 2 years ago . . .  I might have to wait another 6 years  . . .
I don’t need an apologist from the company, just a reason why you are not providing this function LOTS of people want and is EASY to do - we have done the same on apps we build for customers a while ago . . . .
But looks like we will have have no luck here

I am not an apologist from eM Client Inc., just a user commenting on this user supported forum.

There are many requests for features found in other messaging clients, but it is obvious that eM Client Inc. is not planning to clone any of those soon. They do monitor this forum, so there is a slim chance that they may comment on this thread at some time. Until then, if you really need this feature you are accustomed to from other messaging clients, it may be less frustrating to use one of those.

With the release of 7.2, and EIGHT YEARS later from the original request, some of us still would like to see an AUTOMATIC spell check on send…

I don’t see that changing in this application, T. I suspect that eM Client Inc. has decided on a more modern approach to spell checking.

Gary, do you work for these guys?

No T, just another user commenting on this user supported forum.

Well, obviously you’re right, since it has been 8 years and no progress towards that feature.

You don’t care about it, right?   I’d be curious what email platforms you’ve used in the past?  Did they not have auto spell correction?

I first started with email in the 80s on a proprietary Xenix type system. Over the years I have used many email clients, but primarily Unix/Linux based solutions. I have never used automatic spelling correction, nor am I even sure if any desktop email clients offer this.

But when it comes to spelling checkers, the system that eM Client offers by underlining misspelled words, seems to be the more modern method than having a popup that appears when clicking Send.

I have asked an eM Client employee to comment on this thread, so we may yet hear what the company plans for the future.

I’m a little ahead of you then, from the late 70’s, also with several iterations of Unix and Sun, and then DOS / Windows.   That being said, from the time that I *did* start using a desktop client, (later on, obviously), they all had automatic spell check.    As I think through some of them:
Outlook
Outlook Express
Thunderbird

There have been more , I’m sure, but my memory is certainly fragmented.

So, that being said, I think that your idea of having to spell check  “manually” may be a modern way of doing it, but should not be the only way of doing it.  On all those clients I named, you could *choose* to auto check, or not.

I think all we are asking for here is a choice.  That way you can get what you feel is modern and better, and we can get something that several of us would like to see.

BTW, thanks for asking for an employee’s input into this.  Obviously, what you and I want have nothing to do with reality, until we get it from the devs mouth…