This is my 1st posting and I am no tech genius.
I upgraded my PC 4 months ago and in the process was forced to move from Windows Live mail and was set up with eM Client. There were a lot of initial issues but I got them sorted.
I have 2 accounts - my main is a bigpond.com and I occasionally use a gmail.com
For the last 3 months I have been on the road and working from my laptop.
To make life easier a friend set up my gmail to receive both email accounts- all good. Any sent emails are from the bigpond.com account
On my return I opened up eM Client expecting all my bigpond.com emails to be in the inbox and unread- but there was nothing. The eM Client only receives bigpond.com emails
As a trial I turned off my Kaspersky online mail wall- no change.
The techs were able to enable some emails to start flowing but it is only a fraction of what I am seeing in my gmail account.
Yesterday 8 bigpond.com emails showed in my eM client inbox- including trash and junk while there were 30 in my gmail. It seems random as emails from the same people may sometimes show in my eM Client inbox. Also I know that some sent emails from eM Client are not being delivered.
So at this stage I am considering deleting eM Client completely and working from the gmail a/c unless there is a reasonable solution- it surely isn’t meant to be this hard.
PS there have been no error readings in the operations tab