SMTP issue for Bellsouth e-mail account

I installed eM Client a couple of months ago using the auto setup feature on my new laptop running Windows 8.1.

Until yesterday I had only used it to retrieve e-mails and it worked fine.

I have two other computers, and had been sending from my desktop previously. Yesterday I tried to send an e-mail and it shows there is no outgoing account. I used add a new account and this time entered all of my settings manually.

eM Client showed that both POP3 and SMTP had failed in being set up. I hit the fix buttons and no success.

Can someone tell me why this client won’t work with my Bellsouth settings when both Outlook Express and Thunderbird work fine?

I don’t understand how it has even been receiving as the settings done under auto setup are not what I am supposed to be using.

Any help is appreciated as I like the client, just need to be able to send mail as well as receive.

Hi what account (service) setting are you using now? Can you make a screenshot from Tools > Accounts > Your problematic account > POP/SMTP tab?
Did you manually change the setting to what you should be using?

What version of eM Client are you using?

Thank you,

I am using version 6.0.20154.0

I deleted the account I set up manually as nothing was working with my ‘proper’ settings. Here is a screen shot of my ‘auto’ set up account which does not contain an SMTP account at all. It will retrieve e-mail even though the settings are not correct.

I am using Thunderbird on this computer also for now. I have tried my correct settings over and over and they will not work.

Hi again Mark, you’ve mentioned you’ve used the manual setup… what settings did you use? Can you make a screenshot of the current settings?

I’ve found out the settings for bellsouth accounts should be following:
POP3 setting > on port 995 using security policy on special port (legacy).
SMTP settings > on port 465 using security policy on special port (legacy).

Can you please try this setting with the manual setup?

I also found there might be a difference in the setup if you’re using Yahoo! servers, don’t know if that’s your case.

Thank you,


I tried the account manually again with your suggested settings. It works just fine now!!! I am using and on the same ports in Outlook Express and Thunderbird as AT&T told me. Those settings have worked for years until trying eM Client with Windows 8.1.

I don’t understand why it won’t work with those settings, but it works with yours, and that’s good enough for me.



Great, I’m glad it works, if you come across any other issues, let us know, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,

You are the best(as always).I have been trying to get my Bellsouth settings to work again for the last 6 months or so.AT&T support was absolutely no help.I finally found this post and my eMail works like it should.Thank you so very much.