SMTP error and cannot send messages

SMTP error and cannot send but receiving all messages fine

I have never had this issue before but had to do a factory restore on computer and since reinstalling this client i keep getting this error

SMTP attempt to connect to failed etc,do you want to check settings.I try to use the fix option which takes ages and says its fixed then i get this error again and its just repeating itself. Log file says this
00:33:35 Online state: changed to online with reason NetworkAvailability
00:34:02 [email protected] [SMTP] Connecting: To [email protected]
00:34:05 [email protected] [SMTP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Connect failed with reason:
00:34:05 “The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.” —> System.IO.IOException: The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.
00:34:05 at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
00:34:05 at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
00:34:05 at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
00:34:05 at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
00:34:05 at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
00:34:05 at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
00:34:05 at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsClient(String targetHost, X509CertificateCollection clientCertificates, SslProtocols enabledSslProtocols, Boolean checkCertificateRevocation)
00:34:05 at MailClient.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Connect(WorkerStatus status)
00:34:05 — End of inner exception stack trace —
00:34:05 at MailClient.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Connect(WorkerStatus status)
00:34:05 at MailClient.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
00:34:05 at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

I am totally lost with this and have no idea what to do

Thanks Sam

“[SMTP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Connect failed with reason:
00:34:05 “The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.” —> System.IO.IOException: The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.”

This is because of bad SSL setting or interference by antivirus - can you tell me what port/ssl setiing do you use? Also can you try disabling antivirus for a while and then send email?

what antivirus do you use anyway? We know about issues with AVG and Avast.

Jan

thanks for reply,
I have no idea what an port/ssl setting is.I just wanted something i could install and just use like i have in the past.
I am using avast and did try disabling but still same issues

Sam

Hi,

port/ssl you can find in Tools - Accounts - your account - SMTP tab.

Jan

ok the SMTP port is 25
i have not played round with any of these settings as i have no clue what they are lol.
I am not very computer minded when it comes to this kind of stuff

Sam

try to changing it to this:
port: 465
Security policy: Use SSL/TLS on special port (Legacy)

John,
thanks so much for all your help.
Changing the port as suggested has now sorted out my problem.
Thank you :slight_smile:

you are much welcome
Jan