SMTP connection refused (other software connects fine)

I cannot get SMTP access to my university SMTP-server with emClient, while in other programs (e.g. Thunderbird, or via http://www.checktls.com/perl/TestRece… everything works fine).

emClient error message:
14:19:51 UU [SMTP] MailExceptions.SocketException: Connect failed with reason:
14:19:51 “No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 131.211.6.203:587”
14:19:51 at MailClient.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Connect(WorkerStatus status)
14:19:51 at MailClient.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
14:19:51 at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

If you put in the ip of the server and the correct port number, checktls.com can connect to it without any problems. Try for yourself: enter solismail.uu.nl as MX host and port 587.
I have tried all different Security policy options in emClient and the Diagnostic fix. Neither gives a solution.

What is going on here?

Hi,
I am very sorry for the delayed reply. If the problem is still actual, check your SMTP settings and eventually use the Diagnose/Fix button in the account settings. Please inform me of the result. Thank you.

Hi George, I have exactly the same problem with my university email setup. I tried the diagnose/fix but it didn’t work either. I like eM very much but this makes me feel very unconvenient and had consumed a big amount of time of mine.

Hi Tao, are you using proxy or a firewall software on your computer? If you’re seeing the same error as the original poster, this is usually due to a software or device that disabled eM Client’s ability to connect to your email server. If you’re using any kind of such software, can you try to disable it temporarily to see if that’s what might be causing the issue?

Thank you,
Paul.