sent emails are getting stuck in the outbox. No incoming emails

No emails in or out.  It says enter password.  I’ve tried existing email passwords but it doesn’t like them.  I can’t see how or where to set up a new password

Often a correct password can be rejected when the security policy for the account is incorrect. Go to Menu > Tools > Accounts, and check that you have the correct combination of port and security policy.

SMTP
Port 587 = Force usage of SSL/TLS
Port 25 = Use SSL/TLS if available

IMAP
Port 993 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Port 143 = Use SSL/TLS if available

POP3
Port 995 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Port 110 = Use SSL/TLS if available

The underlined ones are the best option for security if your server supports them, so try those first. SMTP port 465 was reassigned and should no longer be used for SMTP, though many mail providers still recommend and use it. If you want to use port 465, the security policy should be set to Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)

The General tab for your account is also where you can change the password if you need to.

Thanks Gary.  I’ve tried changing the SMTP and IMAP tabs to  your suggestions.  I can’t find out how to look at POP3.  I’m so ignorant I don’t know if these are alternatives or I have all three.
I still get a message saying identity or password are incorrect.  I’d be happy to change either or both but can’t find where or how I do this.  Should the password be the same for IMAP, SMTP and everything else? John

Sorry John, I should have mentioned that there will only be IMAP or POP3, not both.

You can change the login name and password in the General tab. Usually the login name is the full email address.

Then on the SMTP tab, you can leave it selected to use identity credentials. That means that the SMTP connection will use the same login name and password as the IMAP connection.

Thank you. I changed the password and  may be getting somewhere at last as the message saying ‘IMAP requires password’ has stopped coming up.  but now I’ve had ‘SMPT server doesn’t support STARTTLS’  Best wishes
John

Change the SMTP to port 465, and the security policy should be set to Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy).

Thanks.  Only two error messages this time, both the same:  IMAP an attempt to connect to [email protected] failed.  This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings?  What should i do now?  Thanks again John

Disable your anti-virus application, then try again.

I have done this…no error messages but still can’t send or receive any emails.  

There is another user over at https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/new-wifi-no-emails who is also having a problem with BT. Wonder if there is some server issue.

Our emails come via BT Yahoo but they’re coming through on my iPad and via very old Microsoft Outlook account so I don’t think it’s the server.  Should I enable virus protection?  Being without it is making me anxious.  Thank you, John

Yes, re-enable your anti-virus application.

Can you go to Menu > Tools > Operations, and click on the Log tab. Scroll through that and see if there are any entries that look like errors.

I don’t really know what an error would look like but there are a couple of these  08:39:31     “Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.” and some of these 08:39:06    at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect(CancellationToken cancellationToken) and this 08:29:10 [email protected] [IMAP]  MailClient.Accounts.ConnectionException: 
We’ve got to go out now J

When you get home, why don’t you try removing the account from eM Client, then adding it again.

Go to Menu > Tools > Accounts and remove the account by clicking on the bin icon, then add it again by clicking on the + icon.

I’ve tried this but sadly it doesn’t seem to have made any difference.  Do you think that the problem could be down to our transferring lots of storage folders and old emails from our ancient Windows Live mail account?  Being bale to do this was the main reason why we chose EM Client.  I thought we might lose all these when re removed and added the account just now but they’re all still there.  Thanks  John