Rules do not work reliably or in combination with each other.

I’ll echo other posters.  If I create a rule that is to fire whenever an email arrives into eM Client, I want it to fire regardless of the state of that email (read or unread etc).  If you want to provide the feature of only looking at unread emails (which for the life of me, is something unusual to want to do), PLEASE just make that another optional rule condition (e.g. “only when email is unread”).  Please DO NOT combine conditions (“email arrives” and “email is unread”) so that I can’t extricate them.  As others have mentioned, this makes the rule system unworkable.  Just make every condition separately selectable.

I also really like eM Client.  But it also has its quirks, and it makes me hesitate. 

Thanks!

Hi, If I’ve correctly tested this, the same behavior can be met with other mail clients as well. If an email is read prior to when it’s received by the client, it can’t be sorted, you can always use server rules in order to sort out all receiving emails.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.

It sounds like what you’re saying is: If we can find any other email clients that have the same problem ours does, we don’t need to fix the problem, and our customers will just have to put up with the problem. This is a sure recipe for failure in the marketplace.

Did you test Outlook Express? It doesn’t have this defect.

I’m sorry to say that, but Paul is a joker. Outlook Express’ rules WORK PERFECTLY! And I doubt that other e-mail clients have such a stupid defect. As Mike said, that’s not a bug, that’s an architecture error of the program and, for some reason nobody is able to understand, you guys insist in not correct it.  

What do you mean “use server rules”?

I am managing multiple email addresses (I have different addresses for different clients).  I have rules set up to color code my emails depending on which account they come through.   If I read my email on my phone, then EM Client doesn’t color them.

Are you saying I would need to set something up in Gmail?

I do not understand the concerns of this person. EM Client “rules” are not reliable. Well configured, they are exceptional. Especially keep these ‘rules’ in version 7! As the function search elsewhere.

Hello, for me, who set up rules in Thunderbird, I find that eM Client rules are a breeze compared to Thunderbird! There are no photo! Much more reliable in MS Client. Kind regards.

Perrin,
It’s not that setting up rules are difficult.  It’s because if we read emails on our phones while we are out, when we get back and open EM Client the rules won’t work.  

Please do, Outlook makes this all much easier from a right click on the email!

Why do you need enough support to implement common sense ideas?  You sound like the government thinks.

eM Client also has a right-click option for Rules. What specifically are you having difficulty with?

eM Client is unique in that it provides a simple aesthetically pleasing environment in which to manage emails, calendars and contacts. If every single idea that was thought of or proposed was added, you would end up with just another clone of Thunderbird. If that is what you want, Thunderbird is there. But we have also seen just recently how that can fall apart when thousands of add-ons are no longer supported. There has to be some policy that determines how the application will be developed.

I am sure that within their plans ideas can be considered if enough interest is shown. Therefore this forum has a system whereby you can propose an idea, and users can vote on it to be considered.

Maybe you could describe in an idea which common sense ones you would like to see included in future versions of eM Client. I know I have added mine to the list and even voted on some others.

I believe in logic over consensus.  If you have a reason I am missing it isn’t then that is a useful discussion.

That the right click doesn’t work on the email header but by right clicking the email address within the email, which is a redundant, extra step that isn’t intuitive, like say Outlook.  That the subject doesn’t auto populate like the email address.

The sender’s email address is always in the header, it is uncommon for it to be within the message. You can right-click on this address in the header to create a rule. This seems obviously intuitive; if you want to create a rule for a sender, begin by right-click on their address. It doesn’t make much sense to click on some empty space as you do in Outlook. Just because Microsoft decided that was the way to do it, and because Outlook users are used to doing it that way, does not mean it is either the most intuitive or only way to do it. I do not see anywhere that eM Client is aiming to be an Outlook clone. So with a fresh new approach to email management, you should expect that some processes have been rethought.

By auto populate, if you mean create a rule by subject, I think that the simplicity of choice in the right-click function is in keeping with the overall aesthetic of eM Client. It is the most used function to create a rule from an address, so that option is provided on right-click. However, the option is there in a new rule wizard for other less used options.

I think this is a great opportunity provided by eM Client where users can put forward ideas that they would like to see included or changed in future releases. Microsoft offers the same process for new ideas. If you put forward a logical idea, and there is enough interest, you will get the attention of the developers.

So instead of a protracted conversation, please submit your ideas through this forum and I am sure others will support you by voting.

I have the same problem. But thanks to those who contributed to these problem string because I at least know why it isn’t working.  It seems to me that it should but it doesn’t.

I have found that Rules work reliably in combination on POP3 accounts. However, the exact same Rules often don’t work on IMAP accounts.

There are just so many bugs in this software. I think they should fix the existing software before rolling out new features (with likely even more bugs). Their QA process must be almost no existent.