Returning from v9 to v8 (Windows 7)

Version 8 was fine for me, but having various issues with v9, I want to return to v.8. I have downloaded the most recent updated v8, but it will not let me install it, because of the presence of v9.

Is there any problem arising with me simply uninstalling v9 and installing v8? My e-mails stay on the Gmail server anyway, so presumably there is no danger of me losing any data?

Or is there some sort of backup I should do beforehand?

Thanks very much!

To downgrade, follow the instructions here: https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/195/0/how-can-i-downgrade-back-to-em-client-8-em-client-7-or-older

1 Like

Thanks for this (I hadn’t managed to find that article), but unfortunately these steps have caused me the problem that I cannot now add my Gmail account, so can’t use eM client. After entering my Gmail address, it just says:

Couldn’t sign you in
This browser or app may not be secure.
Try using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can try again to sign in.

Does anybody know how to add my Gmail account again?

Also I can’t see how to switch off notifications to update the programme to version 9, which obviously I don’t want to do! What am I missing?

Finally, while it’s no massive deal for me, I can’t import the settings I saved from v9 in an xml file.

So all in all, not very successful…!

Thanks…

Couldn’t sign you in
This browser or app may not be secure.
Try using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can try again to sign in.

What browser and version are you using ?

Also I can’t see how to switch off notifications to update the programme to version 9, which obviously I don’t want to do! What am I missing?

You carn’t disable the auto update in eM Client if you are running the free version. Do you have the free or pro version. You can with the Pro version.

I would also recommend you update to Windows 10 as Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft with security updates for years now.

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

Well, to be honest I didn’t think I was using a browser at all, as I was simply trying to add my Gmail account to eM Client. For what it’s worth, the default browser on my machine is Opera, but I would not have thought that was relevant?

Noted about the auto-update ‘nags’ - if I can get this issue sorted then I’ll probably get a paid ‘Pro’ account, so that’s OK.

Yeah, I’m aware of the situation with Windows 7 but am happy to stay with it.

Cheers

Well, to be honest I didn’t think I was using a browser at all, as I was simply trying to add my Gmail account to eM Client

When you add a Gmail workspace account in eM Client via the automatic email wizard at the end your browser will appear where you have to click to allow eM Client access to your Google account or it won’t work.

If you have an outdated browser version it won’t work. So make sure your browser version whatever you use is up to date. If Opera doesn’t bring up the allow Google access button, then try another browser like Chrome or Firefox etc and then change the default browser in Windows and then re run the email wizard. If you still don’t see the browser appear at the end of the email wizard then toggle around incase its in the background or minimized on the taskbar.

No, it definitely doesn’t open my browser at all. I’m using Opera Version:87.0.4390.45.

I have however indeed temporarily made Edge my default browser and have now been able to add the Gmail account successfully.

Thanks very much for your help.

1 Like