Retrofit Web.de Calendar

Hello,

I set up my Web.de account without calendar in eM Client a little over a year ago. Now I would like to have the calendar still in addition. How do I do this? In the account settings I can’t find a way to run the setup wizard again.

Greetings Andreas

As you have already added your mail account previously without the Calendar, you can then just manually add a “CalDAV” Web.de calendar via URL as per @Gary post below on the following thread.

Go to “Menu / Accounts / Add Account / Calendar / CalDAV” (Pc) or “eM Client / Accounts / Add Account / Calendar / CalDAV” (Mac) and following the prompts.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/gmx-web-de-caldav-probleme/49604/2

@Gary post extract below from the above thread.

web.de

CalDAV: https://kalender.web.de/begenda/dav/users/

Hello cyberzork,

thank you very much for the quick support. I have tried this once. There are two things that are not done as I would like.

1. the calendar is not displayed in the calendar view. Unlike Google and local, there is no separate folder for it.
  2. the assignment to my email account is missing. Instead, I set up another independent account.
    User “Domi” pointed out the same circumstance in his reply (see GMX / WEB.DE CALDAV Probleme - #2 by Gary). The only solution he found was to delete the account and create it again. I am now considering doing the same. I have to be sure before that all my mails are preserved. Even the ones I have archived locally in the meantime. Can you assure me that this procedure is feasible without data loss? Or is there maybe another way, where I don’t have to delete my already set up and working account again and that eliminates the two problems mentioned above?

Greetings Andreas

The only solution he found was to delete the account and create it again. I am now considering doing the same. I have to be sure before that all my mails are preserved. Even the ones I have archived locally in the meantime

If manually adding the CalDAV calendar option doesn’t work, sounds like then the Web.de CalDAV Calendar URL might have changed or possibly the username password for it. You would then need to dblcheck with Web de technical support on those details.

However if you want to remove and readd your Web.de mail account as new “via the automatic wizard”, if it’s an eg: IMAP, Exchange, Office 365 or iCloud (Non POP) account then you can safely remove and readd your account without loosing anything as it’s all stored on the server end. Your email, calendar and contacts should just appear.

Now if your Web.de mail account is a POP mail account, then you will first need to create a folder down in “Local folders” at the bottom left of eM Client called eg: Old Mail and then drag all your current Mail account folders under Old Mail. Once you are certain all your mail is in Local Folders, then you can safely remove and readd your account again. Then lastly once you have readded your POP mail account, drag your messages from Old Mail back up to the same mail folders as before under your account.

Note: Before removing your mail account, backup first via “Menu / Backup” (PC), or “File / Backup” (Mac). You can see when the backup is complete in Show Operations via the drop-down on the right of Refresh at the top left.

When setting up the additional account, the wizard did not display any error messages. Only I could not check the access, because the calendar was still missing in the folder structure. I used the URL you posted in your first reply to set up the account.

My email account is an IMAP account. I am aware that all messages in my mailbox are preserved as long as they are on the server. I wanted to know if the messages of this account previously archived locally by the auto-archive function are also deleted?
I did another test earlier. I did not delete my account but still added again. I made extra sure that the automatic comes into play and I do not disable anything. In the end my mail account was successfully added twice. But here the calendar was not connected. This should have worked differently or?

When setting up the additional account, the wizard did not display any error messages. Only I could not check the access, because the calendar was still missing in the folder structure. I used the URL you posted in your first reply to set up the account.

As the calendar is “also not being picked up automatically via the eM Client Wizard” then that sounds like a Server related issue. You would need to speak to Web.de technical support for assistance.

Also make sure you are using a recent version of eM Client. Could be you might have an outdated or older version which may not have the support in it if its outdated. Just a thought to try.

The latest versions for PC and Mac are via the release history page. If you do update eM Client, again make a backup of eM Client first and close eM Client before updating the program.

My email account is an IMAP account. I am aware that all messages in my mailbox are preserved as long as they are on the server. I wanted to know if the messages of this account previously archived locally by the auto-archive function are also deleted?

If your archived messages are in “Local Folders” at the bottom left, then yes those will be preserved as Local folders doesn’t get deleted when you remove your mail account. Just make sure you backup eM Client regularly so you can always restore any messages from Local Folders if you ever need to.

If your archived messages are “under your IMAP mail account above Local folders”, then yes those archived messages will also be preserved and will automatically come back when you re-add your IMAP Mail account as “that is all within your online IMAP mail account” and not local.

I was able to solve my problem together with Web.de support. eM Client always reported “Unauthorized”. So on advice of support I created a new application password. With this the setup worked immediately. The only thing that amazes me about this is the fact that I had already tested this before. For a reason that I can no longer understand, the password that was created in this way was no longer available. No wonder that I always received the above message.
I have now decided to perform the calendar synchronization with a separate account. I do not perform the action with deleting and recreating my account.

Oh yes, the current URL for CalDAV at Web.de is: https://caldav.web.de/
This must also be entered in the same way in eM Client.

Thank you very much for the support.
Greetings Andreas

1 Like