Restoring back-ups after reinstallation Windows 10 failed

Best helpers,

Yesterday, I gave my computer a fresh reinstall of Windows 10.

Windows was already on my computer.

Before I made a back-up through the prescribed route: file > backup.

When the reinstallation was finished I downloaded EM Client again and then updated to the latest version.

Then I wanted to restore the backups EM Client.

To my surprise, it failed.

Via File > Import I get a screen, in which I can make a choice of what location I want to import.

I chose ’ import from the folder .eml files ’ , selected the location of the folder that contains the files, including embedding subfolders and selected the folder where the messages had to be directed to in the mailboxes. It was unable to restore. Also after I had unpacked the files nicely, it failed.

Reading all kinds of messages on the internet it seems, that it is not (more?) possible what I want, because they are. dat files. Is this (horrible) correct?

If so, then 5 years of emails, received and sent and about 100 contactpersons information is lost!

While I just followed the prescribed way of back-upping and erstoring from EM-Client.

Then EM-Client caused damage to my interests.

Maybe I do not understand something, if so, I would like to hear that.

I have read a lot (also on this webpage), and tried several things, including downloading outdated versions of EM-Client in order to be able to import the files, and then export it as .eml file, but nothing worked. I am desperate now.