Restored my backup but..

I recently accidentally deleted all my emails from my host server which they could not restore. I eventually managed to retrieve them from a recent backup. The only way they could restore was doing it off line. The moment I went back on-line the emails all disappeared again!

Any suggestions please as to how I can stop them vanishing? 

When offline, do the restore, then move the messages to Local Folders. If local Folders aren’t visible you can enable them n Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Show Local Folders.

Go online and after the sync is complete, move the messages from Local Folders back to the IMAP folders.

Thank you so much, Gary.  I’ll try that.  I really am finding this whole thing quite frustrating, so your advice is much appreciated. 

PS. I’ll have to do some serious deleting of old rubbish emails before I try. This whole thing started because my email box on the host server was full!  I’ll let you know how I get on though. Thanks again.

Hi Gary,

Just to let you know your solution worked. . I now have all my emails restored.

Many thanks again.

Hey Gary, I had the same problem, but when I tried to move the messages to local folders I get an error and all messages shows “[email protected]”.
Can you help me on this one?

This was apparently resolved in a recent beta release. If you would like to try it, you can download from the Release History.

Thanks! But a new problem happened:

System.IO.IOException: Access to the path ‘C:\Users\2me\AppData\Roaming\eM Client’ is denied.
   at System.IO.FileSystem.MoveDirectory(String sourceFullPath, String destFullPath)
   at System.IO.Directory.Move(String sourceDirName, String destDirName)
   at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(String backupFile, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.<>c__DisplayClass28_0.<mainform_load>b__0(Object a, DoWorkEventArgs b)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

</mainform_load>

With eM Client closed rename the C:\Users\2me\AppData\Roaming\eM Client directory first. Then restart eM Client, cancel any setup windows and do the restore again.

It worked, but the messages aren’t still there. Now it show a message but in blank

Are you restoring messages that were already deleted from the server?

Yup. I had the back up done due to a change of server

So here is the thing. By default eM Client only downloads the message headers, so if you do a backup, that is all you will get. No message body, just the Date, From and To information. That is all that you will get in the restore because that is all that was backed up.

What needs to be done is to enable the offline mode in your IMAP settings before the backup, then the complete message with it’s body and attachments will be in the backup.

A better solution for when moving servers it to move or copy all your IMAP folders and messages to Local Folders, then remove the email account from eM Client. Once the new server is setup, add the email account and move the messages from Local Folder back to the IMAP folders.

Hey Gary, I have found a way to do it at last!
I restored the backup (with the beta version) then put it offline. And even though some messages were not downloaded and the server was new, I managed to move all files to local files and then put it online.
The mailbox was “erased” but the back up was all in local files.
Thanks a lot

That was fortunate. :wink: