Request: editable timeouts

once again this is coming up. please make timeouts editable. i can do it in other clients so why not this one?

What type of account are you getting timeouts with ? Eg: POP, IMAP etc

Also are you running any eg: Optional Firewall / Security programs, Optional Antivirus programs or VPNs ?, as these can sometimes cause timeouts. If you have any of these optional programs try completely disabling those to test.

Also what speed internet connection do you have ? eg: Are you using a mobile cell data connection, or fixed line dsl, cable, nbn, etc. Sometimes if your connection is too slow or not allways constant you can get mail timeouts.

You can also get timeouts if there is eg: too much delay between your computer and the remote mail server. So do a ping test via the dos prompt if your familiar with doing that to your remote incoming and outgoing mail servers and see how many ms roundtrip it takes ?

Lastly what eM Client version are you using ?. Could be you might have an outdated or older version of eM Client and need updating.

It’s SMTP and its server related issues I am trying to work around. Webmail on the server takes up to 45 seconds to go through. I can’t fix the server issue as it’s not mine. I can use Thunderbird and edit the settings and emails send eventually. This is a somewhat recent mail server issue but eM Client does not allow me to work around it like other clients do.

ETA: I enjoy eM Client but its not usable right now with my server. And it is the latest version

It’s SMTP and its server related issues I am trying to work around

I see. Your SMTP mail server tech support then need to get that fixed asap.

In the meantime, I can only suggest you “use an Alternate SMTP server” untill yours is working properly. There is many available out there.

Same response as all the other requests for this feature. We can get avatars based on sender domains but we can’t get something actually useful. Disappointing as I really like this software

I also have this same request. My web hosting service thinks SMPT delays in excess of 30 seconds is acceptable, while eM Client can’t deal with it. The timeout issue forces me to relocate my web services at great expense. None of the other email clients I have tested with have the timeout issue. So, I can freely use other clients and still send mail.

If you could make the feature configurable per account that would be terrific.

@Striker

My web hosting service thinks SMPT delays in excess of 30 seconds is acceptable, while eM Client can’t deal with it.

SMTP delays of 30secs “is not acceptable” and your web hosting provider needs to sort that out.

I would suggest untill your provider can fix that issue, is to use your eg: “Local ISP broadband SMTP” outgoing mail server instead to send mail and not use your domain SMTP server.

Or there are also other alternate global SMTP servers you could use in the meantime.

1 Like

Replies like this are why I am hesitant to pay for pro. Obviously several users have the same problem they can not rectify themselves so outbound mail is routed through their own domain and you blow them off with these responses rather than address it with a viable solution that other free mail clients support.

@JasonB

Obviously several users have the same problem they can not rectify themselves.

Its the mail server company’s responsibility to fix slow smtp sending problems and “not the mail clients responsibility”. Programming optional smtp timeout settings in mail clients is a bandaid solution.

Webmail on the server takes up to 45 seconds to go through. I can’t fix the server issue as it’s not mine. I can use Thunderbird and edit the settings and emails send eventually.

In your example (as you posted further up in this thread), “even webmail on the server takes 45secs to go through”. So your mail server is the issue and nothing will change untill they fix their mail server.

1 Like