Reinstall issue needs help

I had to perform a clean reinstall of Window 10. Per your instruction I made a backup copy before proceeding with clean W10 reinstall. After completing W10 reinstall I downloaded the eM Client from the website and then [did something] and the application found my backed-up copy and opened the application showing a perfect clean reinstall of my original data Yeah!!. However, I have to do a system restore shortly after due to another issue, and now I try to reinstall eM Clientbut the database does not open - it opens to an error message  

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
   at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
   at DbRepair.CorruptionChecker.CheckCorruption(RepairOptions repairOptions, CancellationToken token)
   at DbRepair.CheckingProcess.Check(CancellationToken token)
databaseFile: accounts.dat

Suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Lets start of with some questions.What hide of restore  did you do   windows refresh  full windows restore  or an image restore using a third party software.Is the original emclient backup still there   the one that was successful in upgrade
What version of emclient  was there after you did a restore.
How old was the backup that you restored windows with .

Thank you.

I did a full fresh restore deleting the original W10 and reinstalling with UEFI USB of the most current OS W10 downloaded to the stick by the tech at the Microsoft Store. 

The .zip I used after the reinstall of W10 and subsequent reinstall of emclient (which worked perfectly) was dated 6/3 but I deleted that file. I still have a emclient backup zip dated 6/4 that I made prior to doing the system restore after reinstalling W10.

I am wondering if there is an old .db still in hidden files somewhere from the first emclient reinstall that worked performed prior to the system restore I performed after reinstall W10.

Thank you in advance

Sounds like you did a refresh  and some of your files may still be there.  see what is in this location check  date of creation   C:\Users\Your Id \AppData\Roaming\eM Client   this is where emclient normally stores its dbs.   

Its going to be trial and error    Rename the folder so it is saved    and start emclient    does not start

re install the newest emclient.    If it starts  and has no email accounts  then try restore using your 6-4 backup.   if it fails    o well time to re do everything.

If you cannot see the user folder  go to control panel / File explorer Options/    on top select VIEW /

click  “show hidden files and folders” 

If you are using Imap rather than POP then when you redefine your email accounts it will re buiild your email folders.   If using POP  (not Good you will loose a lot)   If you used archived feature  I can help you get them back .      Using a zip extract program open the backup and you will see a folder called Archive.

Extract that folder out  only to a work area then copy into C:\Users\Your Id \AppData\Roaming\eM Client\Archive  if it does not exist   This may get them back   50 50 chance it will work . 

Well I changed the file name and then went to the existing eMclient.exe and it open and I signed up for a new account (I think) and the app opened and I restored my 6/4 backup, but it also said I am not sync (offline) and I need license.  

There is a website to ask for one.    They will want your email address as that is how they register you.   

if you have imap take a look at your email in a browser and try to find their email when they sent it to you.

A good rule to follow is set up a folder say c:\data\software  and place all our software installs and license files in there under a software folder  ex  emclient   word   firefox  etc    this way you always have it available in one place.    If you can see your folders in emclient you are almost there

This may not help, but from your original message it appears that eM Client was being used by another process, thus not allowing it to be opened.

I would have (in Windows 10) done a Control Alt Delete to access the Task Manager where I would have checked to see what processes eM Client was involved with.  I then would have disabled them so I could then try to open eM Client. 

Hope you are able to fix the issue. :slight_smile:

Well. I was able to get all back in order.

I went to the C:\Users\Your Id \AppData\Roaming\eM Client and removed that folder which was from previous download attempts. 

I then went to the  C:Program Files (x86) EMclient folder which I had downloaded earlier today and ran emclient.exe from there.  The app opened without showing the restore .db action as was problematic before, but instead this time asked for the license key. Not having it…

I rebooted the computer as the app was in autorun at startup.  The app ran and when opened it had a new message with a command button that indicated I could use it to reactive the license. It noted that if that action did not work I would have to enter the license manually.

After clicking the command button the license activated and the eM Client immediately updated/downloaded with the newest emails and is now working as usual. I also noted that all files and folders were restored without losing anything.

I thank you all so much. While this process was different (more complicated) from the first time I restored eM Client…the end is still the same. Very happy and so grateful for the help and responses.