Refreshing takes infinite time

I had version 7, on win7. I have 3 outlook accounts and one gmail account linked. A couple of hours ago I woke up and tried to read mail. But refreshing takes forever - I waited for 20 minutes at a time. This has never occured before. I purchased version 9, thinking that that might resolve the issue - same problem. For both the outlook and gmail accounts the spinning refresh arrows and the refresh bar keep spinning - but nothing happens…

Well, Windows 7 is out of support by Microsoft, so is no longer updated to support newer Microsoft technologies like .NET 6 which requires a newer TLS version than is enabled in your OS.

Try enabling TLS 1.2 in Windows 7 and see if there is any difference.

This website may help you to do that:

Thank you so much, adding the registry entry fixed the problem… One question: why did the problem appear just today? Did something change - from the Microsoft side - recently? All this time I had no problems like the one I described today…

Many email providers are disabling the older versions of TLS 1.0 and 1.1 on their servers as they are outdated and no longer meet current security standards. That means with Windows 7 you will not have been able to connect to their server.