Read Status Not Updating

I’ve been using eM Client for a few weeks now and really like it. There’s one problem I’m noticing. I have v4 installed and just installed the beta v5 version but the problem exists in both. The “Read” status is not updating with my IMAP accounts. I read in another post that this was a Google problem, but I don’t think so. I came from Windows Live and all of my accounts (I have 7) update when I read the email on my Android phone or when I read the email on Google’s webmail site. I haven’t uninstalled Windows Live so I fired it up again and performed some tests. Everything updates has they should in WL, my phone, and the webmail site. But not in eM Client.

Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be modified?

Send us your logs please: go to menu Tools->Settings->Logging and check “IMAP” under the problematic account. Then restart eM Client, try to simulate the issue (mark an email as read in browser and press Send and Receive button in eM Client) and send us (with reference to this topic) the logs using the same logging settings window. Please attach the problematic message saved in .eml format to your email. Thank you.

Hi Guys. Since I made this post I had to go out of the country, then the holidays hit. Now I’m back in mind and body and this is still a problem. But I’e got more information.

The only thing that’s not functioning is when I read emails from other devices like my phone, the read status doesn’t update in em Client on my PC. However, when I read an email in em Client on my PC, the read status does update on my phone. So it’s a one way issue.

In order for me to get an accurate status in em Client on my PC, I have to close down the program then open it back up. When I open it up again the read statuses update and all is correct.

What I don’t understand is why even after clicking on the Send/Receive button in em Client the Read Status doesn’t update, but closing and opening the program does update the status?

We are aware of this issue but unfortunately I cannot provide you any solution at the moment because the problem lies on Google’s side. They do not send us Read status update.

Hi George,

That is what was stated before, but it makes no sense to me. em Client is the only email tool I’ve used that doesn’t update the status. Microsoft Outlook, Windows Live Mail, and Mozilla’s Thunderbird all update the status. If Google isn’t sending status updates, how are these other tools being updated? Additionally, when I close and open em Client, it gets updated. If Google isn’t communicating the status, how does em Client know the statuses when it gets opened?

I don’t see how Google is at fault here.

That is because eM Client does not support exchange protocol fully yet. This happens only on IMAP.
When you open eM Client every folder is re-synchronized (including read statuses) but then IDLE connection remains opened and any of the updated read status is not pushed down.

Can we expect this to be resolved soon? Not only have all the email programs I’ve used updated the status, all my phones including the iPhone successfully updated the read status. The only tool I’ve ever used that hasn’t is em Client. I find this strange because status synchronization is the beauty of IMAP and em Client is such a comprehensive and robust tool otherwise.

This is a problem for me - it’s fine in windows live-mail client - I want to use me eM-Client and I am one of those who will read email in another room on the phone then come back to find the client hasn’t updated the read status… :frowning: Please try to resolve this with an optional full sync update if Google will not send updates to em-Client. ???

I will discuss it with our developers and we will see what they can do.

This is a pretty basic and important feature of an IMAP email account. I guess I don’t understand why getting this fixed doesn’t seem to have a higher priority. IMO this falls into the “get this fixed immediately” category.