(Re)installing eM Client after a year (now on new laptop) ... importing backup ... and syncing newer emails with email server

More than a year ago, I was using eM Client. I was using AT&T.net as my email provider (IMAP, POP).

A year ago, I got a new laptop. Before the transition, I had backed up eM Client to a .zip file.

For reasons I won’t go into, I never installed eM Client on my new laptop. Instead, I just used AT&T’s Web-based Email portal. Now, I want to install eM Client and resume using it as a desktop app. (For reasons I won’t go into, I may even move to desktop Microsoft Outlook.) Questions:

(1) I assume I simply install eM Client and import/restore my old eM Client database from the backed up .zip file - correct?

(2) Would I then be able to download/import all subsequent emails which for the last 1+ years I’ve simply accessed via the AT&T Web-based Email portal? Once I set up eM Client with IMAP/POP information, will eM Client then sync with the AT&T servers to download any emails received/sent since I made my eM Client .zipped backup 1+ years ago? (Result: I would then have all of my old backed up emails, plus the more recent emails from the last 1+ years.) Is there any special process or will eM Client simply recognize the additional emails and download/import them?

(3) Also, I still have the download (installation executable) of the version of eM Client I was using (6.0) 1+ years ago. Is it OK - or even advisable - to use that older installation executable for installing eM Client on my new laptop, then import/restore the saved backup .zip file? Or should I download and install the most recent version of eM Client … and it will recognize/import the eM Client .zip backup file OK?

Many thanks for sharing your expertise.

Now, I want to install eM Client and resume using it as a desktop app.

(1) I assume I simply install eM Client and import/restore my old eM Client database from the backed up .zip file - correct?

Yes install eM Client and then when you open it, skip the initial setup and the. Click “Menu / File / Restore” and point it towards your eM Client backup.zip file. By default your backup location will be in your profile Documents / eM Client folder.

(2) Would I then be able to download/import all subsequent emails which for the last 1+ years I’ve simply accessed via the AT&T Web-based Email portal?

Yes if when you backed up eM Client it was an “IMAP setup” then you will get any emails online automatically update in eM Client since you last backed it up, as long as you are still on the same server with the same account still active. So you then “don’t normally” need to import anything later from your online mailbox.

Now if you restored your backup.zip and it was a POP account, it will then download all your emails since eM Client was setup last and then normally clear them off your online server mailbox so they then only appear in eM Client, unless you changed that in eM Client POP acct settings to leave a copy of messages on the server.

Alternatively if you want to keep your emails online so you can send and receive messages on all your other devices the same, you could then setup another mail account in eM Client this time as an IMAP account with your same email address and your same account login details. You could then if you want, drag / move all your old POP account email messages and message folders to your IMAP acct in eM Client which is what alot of users choose to do these days.

Note: Having an IMAP setup obviously relies on you having enough mailbox space on your server, so all depends on your specific server cost and what cloud mailbox space is included.

If you do need to import online or import other local saved email messages though into eM Client, you could then export those online messages to eg: .eml files, and them import those online or import other local messages into eM Client via “Menu / File / Import”. Hopefully though you had an IMAP server setup and then no need to import

Is it OK - or even advisable - to use that older installation executable for installing eM Client on my new laptop, then import/restore the saved backup .zip file? Or should I download and install the most recent version of eM Client … and it will recognize/import the eM Client .zip backup file OK?

Yes you could install eM Client V6, but the problem is you can have problems now with some of the “newer mail server authentication methods” since that version was developed, and also you can have problems with “newer Windows or Mac OS versions” as far as “installation and compatibility” goes depending on the OS version you are running.

So recommend you install the latest eM Client version 9.2.1577 via the release history page for PC or Mac which has no problems then with any of the newer mail servers & also no problems with the recent OS versions such as Win 10 & 11 or Mac Monterey & Ventura.

From personal experience, restoring from backup doesn’t work when upgrading to a different version when the backup is an old version.

I would look for the original installation file, install it,restore your back up. With some luck, should you upgrade to a higher version eg. 6 to 9, the installation process should be smart enough to migrate to the new format. Otherwise, what happened to me from 8 to 9 is I had to re-do everything from scratch since the backup wasn’t recognized. The option was to stay with 8 (in my case)…

From personal experience, restoring from backup doesn’t work when upgrading to a different version when the backup is an old version.

I personally have not had any issues restoring older eM Client for Windows V6, 7, or 8 backup zip files into the latest V9.2 version with multiple IMAP & POP accounts.

However if you are concerned or have any problems, then yes as @LL7977 advised you can certainly install the last released V6 setup file from the release history page and then restore your backup.

Then upgrade to the last 7 and then 8 and then finally the latest 9.2.

Note: Close eM Client before updating. Hopefully though your old V6 backup.zip file will just import ok into the latest V9.2 version without updating a step at a time.

1 Like

I wish I was so lucky. I was fuming and almost foaming at the mouth when this happened to me.