Program has been fine for two years but now freezes after a few tasks.

I noticed that the 32bit version has been installed but my system is 64bit could this be the problem. and if so how do I change setting. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but 32bit still installs. I recently authenticated free licence. Emails are still being received before program freezes. Any help would be appreciated before I have to try another email program.

Microsoft Office 2016 comes in 32bit and 64 but they recommend the 32bit on 64 bit machines. Forget why. Works fine.  It may not matter with eMC. Let’s await official answer. There may only be a 32bit version.  I’m still on v6.xxx which is likely only 32 bit and runs fine on my 64bit PC.

On the hangs, could be conflict with other software you’ve just added. I assume you rebooted PC?

Try a reboot in _safe mode _thus excluding most drivers and extraneous software and check for hang. I’ve had lots of issues over the 10yrs+ of  eMC use, but not hangs.

I can’t tell you how to reboot in safe mode, as it’s  Windows O.S. dependent. Google how based on your flavor of Windows.

thanks how do I reboot in safe mode?

what rev Windows do you have? 10 or 7 or 8 or XP?

This link shows how in WIn10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Or, this (from above link)-print first to make it easier:

From Settings

1. Press Windows logo key Windows logo key  + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn’t work, select the Start  button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then select Settings .
  2. Select Update & security  > Recovery .
  3. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
  4. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  5. After your PC restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you’ll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

I tried and it works. If you use a 4 digit pin to login vs a full password, it  may take a 2nd reboot for your pin to kick back in (did for me). That is, the first normal reboot may want your full password, assuming you use one. Reboot again and the normal pin prompt comes back.

Now let’s say eMC works fine in safe mode with no hangs. I can’t help you there. There’s something funny about apps or drivers you’ve installed or settings you’ve changed. Time for some tedious debugging. If it were me, I’d try yet another full and fresh reinstall of eMC with a restart in between. A “fresh” reinstall means after a full removal. I know, a big pain; done it a million times. But, first wait to see if they respond to your initial post.  Good luck.

Sorry it’s taken so long to get back. I have tried several times to enter safe mode and everything goes fine up until after option 5 when the sign in page doesn’t accept my pin. I tried several times without success. I see you say try another restart so how do I do that as I was only given option to shutdown which I did but then PC opened in normal mode. Also I have noticed that as I have such a lot of emails in the inbox and trash folders, that I should have cleared, it never stops synchronising which is probably causing the freezing. If the prog would allow me to open for a short time I could delete all these to see if it helps but every time I open prog I get about 5 seconds until it all hangs. If I could get into safe mode and prog worked I could then delete all these emails to see if that helps. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The easiest way to see if it is the database that is causing the issue is to use  a new one. To do this, close eM Client then in Windows Explorer go  to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ and rename the \eM Client\ folder. When you start the application again it will be with a fresh empty database. Setup your accounts and see what happens.

Always make a backup first (Menu > File > Backup) just in case.

eM Client is only available as a 32bit application.

Thanks Gary, I understand what you are saying but when I get to Roaming what do I rename em client folder.

Just rename it something like \eM Client 2. All that it does is forces the application to build a new empty database called \eM Client. If this does not make any difference, and you want to go back to the old one, then delete the newly created \eM Client\ folder and rename the old one back.

Renamed folder but same problem exists after filling in all details. Synchronization just keeps going (left it for 1 hour) screen froze again . I have to use task manager to close. Tried opening em client several times with same result. Emails are being received but can’t access them after a few seconds as program freezes. 

Who is your email provider?