Problem with mail pickup using IMAP

I’m having two problems with IMAP.  My main account has always been a POP3 account, but earlier this year I converted it to IMAP, and since then I seem to have had a few problems.  Firstly, it seems that the body of the mail doesn’t get picked up sometimes; I move the selector bar to an email (in the top window) and expect to see the preview in the bottom, but this doesn’t happen; instead, I see three or four dots racing across the screen from left to right, recurring again and again.  Sometimes the mail shows itself after a minute or two, sometimes I get fed up waiting, and sometimes it just seems to get stuck.

The other problem is that I keep getting error messages similar to the following:

01:45:59 Rogers IMAP [CalDAV]  MailExceptions.OperationException: Sync of Rogers IMAP/ failed due to error: Rogers IMAP (Not Found on Accelerator)
01:45:59

01:45:59 Not Found on Accelerator

Not Found on Accelerator

01:45:59 Description: Your request on host “caldav.calendar.yahoo.com” was not found.
01:45:59 Check the location and try again.

01:45:59 Rogers IMAP [CalDAV]  Synchronizing items: Sync of Rogers IMAP/ finished: 0 uploaded, 0 deleted, 0 obsolete, 0 items,  0 downloaded

or

00:56:09 Rogers IMAP [CalDAV]  MailExceptions.OperationException: Subfolder synchronization for folder “Calendar” failed with following error: Not Found on Accelerator
00:56:09 Rogers IMAP [CalDAV]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
00:56:09 Rogers IMAP [CalDAV]  Synchronizing items: For folder Rogers IMAP/
00:56:10 Rogers IMAP [CalDAV]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly. —> System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly.
00:56:10    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
00:56:10    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.RequestCommand.Execute(HttpWebRequest httpRequest, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Action1 logBody) 00:56:10    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.XmlRequestCommand.Execute(HttpWebRequest httpRequest, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Action1 logBody)
00:56:10    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.Connector.RunCommand(CalDavAccount account, ICommand command, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
00:56:10    — End of inner exception stack trace —
00:56:10    at MailClient.CalDav.ProtocolCommands.Connector.RunCommand(CalDavAccount account, ICommand command, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
00:56:10    at MailClient.CalDav.Synchronizer.SynchronizeItemsCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
00:56:10    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

The error messages don’t happen every time eMClient picks up mail, but the “running dots” issue happens quite frequently, and is annoying because the program often “hangs” after that.

Ports are 993 for outgoing, 465 for SMTP incoming, using SSL/TLS on legacy port.

Does anyone have any ideas about where to look for the answer?  Thanks,

Nigel

Hi Nigel, what version of eM Client are you currently using, can you tell me the exact version number from Help > About?
The errors shown are related to your Calendar service, what mail/calendar service are you using with eM Client?

The email issue you’re describing, does this occur with some particular messages or all messages?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul, thanks for your quick reply.  I’m using 6.0.20899.0.  The email issue only occurs with some emails; I’d have to do a bit more research, but it appears that it’s only emails with some sort of graphic in them; it seems that plain text emails are not affected.  The calendar issue doesn’t concern me because I don’t use the calendar function, I just included that error message to illustrate the “Not found on accelerator” message.  What does that mean?

Hi Nigel, the downloading issue may be caused by the size of the message, since eM Client by default only downloads the headers of emails instead of downloading the whole message.
The rest of the message is downloaded after you click on the message and with larger messages delay may occur while the message is being downloaded.

You could avoid this by using “Download messages for offline use” option, available in your account settings.

As to the “Not found on accelerator” issue, I’m actually not completely sure what might be causing this issue, what mail/calendar service are you using with eM Client?

Thank you,
Paul.

Thanks for this, Paul.  Interestingly enough, I started to follow up on your suggestion about “Download messages for offline use” and went to the account settings for that mail account - I use eMC for six accounts - and noticed that the “Enable Account” checkbox was coloured - not empty, not checked like the other accounts are, but coloured.  In a Windows environment, that usually means that it’s only partially enabled, so I’m going to make sure the “Enable Account” box is fully checked and wait to see if it makes any difference.  I don’t know why that box should be any different from any other account, although this email account is a legacy account which I recently changed from POP to IMAP, so there might have been something in that process that wasn’t set up exactly right, which may (or may not) be causing this issue. 

I’ll keep in touch, although please note that I’ll be out of internet availability from tonight Eastern time till after dark on Saturday night, so I won’t be able to get back to you after tonight for a couple of days.

Thanks again for your help,

Nigel

Hi again Nigel, yes if the checkbox is filled with a smaller square it usually means some of the account’s services is disable, you can check which one it is if you go through the account’s tabs and check where the “enable service” button is unchecked. Also I’m not completely sure what you mean by changing from POP to IMAP, but please note that once you setup your account as POP or IMAP you can’t change the server address to the other protocol, you have to setup the account again as an IMAP or a POP account again.

Maybe that’s what has been causing the issue?

Please let me know if you come to any further information that might be helpful in resolving the issue, or if you were able to resolve it.

Best regards,
Paul.