Pop3 receive not accepting password

Recently installed em Client - transferred data from Live Mail OK - can send emails but cannot receive. Keep getting popup  Pop3 Receive asking for password (which is already entered). Can I change the password (just in case I mis-entered it originally)?  How?

Hello again Ted,

You can find the credentials settings in Menu > Tools > Accounts and the specific account.

If it won’t work properly, it will be probably the CRAM5 issue as I commented on the other post. I just copy the answer to make sure it gets to you:

"This issue is caused by the wrong server settings at the account provider’s side. We changed the authentication process to CRAM-5. If the server is wrongly set and responds to eM Client that is is capable of CRAM-5 authentication (even though it is not in fact) eM client can’t go back to simple auth and tries to use CRAM-5. This causes the error.

Please contact the mail provider to help you with correcting the server setting."

Regards,
Russel

OK - my server does not sync with CRAM5 (I still fail to understand how it is I can send emails but not receive them but then my lack of computer skills would account for that) so I shall be deleting eM Client shortly

Hello Ted,

It is not necessary to delete eM Client. Just ask your email account support desk for fixing their server settings so eM Client is not being “told” falsely that the server supports CRAM5. After they fix it, eM Client can communicate correctly with the server and switch to different authentication.

Regards,
Russel

my hosting company has no idea what CRAm
5 is and the downloads work fine on my tablet and phone, just not my desktop.

Hello DG,

CRAM-5 is an authentication mechanism that we adopted in the new version to increase security of our program. If the server is wrongly set, then it might cause the authentication problems.

Another problem might be using App-specific password or Two-step verification so please make sure in your webmail settings that you don’t use any of these.

Regards,
Russel

Hi Russell thanks for your reply. I don’t know what app=specific means and I don’t use 2-step verify. I finally caved and deleted account and changed to IMAP which is working. However, I found if I restore all the former emails that I backed up, it also changes the setting back to POP which for some reason suddenly stopped working on October 26. I preferred POP for this account so the emails would be deleted on the server through the client. The email host works on my tablet and android phone. I have done diagnostics etc and spent way too much time trying to fix. I see a lot of issues in the forum related to pop so maybe EM Client needs to address this. 

Hello,

The backup simply means a copy of your database with the account information. After you restore from backup, the old database is used together with its account settings - POP3 in this case. If you wish to transfer your emails, I would recommend using Menu > File > Export and then import to the new database.

Regards,
Russel

Thanks Russell good to know. Will the export/import function over-write the emails already there from new IMAP downloads since I changed the account? Or just add the old emails back into the in box?

Hello,
After you Import the data and if you then have any duplicates, you can use the Deduplicator tool in Menu > Tools. Import itself will not overwrite your data.

Regards,
Russel