Performance of encrypted mails.

Performance of encrypted mails.
Hi there, I noticed that on my machine the performance of displaying encrypted mails is very poor: When I select an encrypted mail it takes up to 15, 20 seconds until the mail is displayed. During this time the title bar of EM Client already displays “not responding”. This happens for mails on an IMAP server but also for mails stored in the local folder. It takes a similar time until the “signed” icon is displayed for signed mails, but the problem isn’t as annoying there, because I can already read the contents. A comparable machine running Outlook 2010 seems significantly faster in handling encrypted, signed mails. Is there anything I can do to improve the performance?

Hello,

encryption and decryption usually takes system resources, if eM Client freezes completely please send us dump from emstackdump to: [email protected]
together with: https://discourse.emclient.com/emclient/to…

you can get emstuckdump here: http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstack…

regards
Jan

Hi John,

thanks for looking into this!
No, my eM Client does not freeze completely, it just takes the before mentioned 15 - 20 seconds. As a comparison I installed Thunderbird on the very same machine, imported my certificates and connected to the IMAP server: Thunderbird decrypts and displays the mail in less than 1 second.
So either I have badly misconfigured eM Client or the performance of handling certificates is an “area of improvement”? In which case I would like to humbly ask considering it for a next version.

Thanks!

Jens

Hello,

can you please try to set “Download messages for offline use” and “include attachments also” in Tools - Accounts - your account - IMAP tab?

This might be caused by fact that IMAP “download” message only after client sends request and we need to know if it is thanks to this or not.

regards
Jan

Hi John,

setting “Download messages for offline use” and “include attachments also” in Tools - Accounts - your account - IMAP tab definitely improves the performance: I am now down to ~ 5 seconds until the message is displayed.

Thanks,

Jens

Hello,

I am glad that I could help to resolve this issue.

regards
Jan