Password required, server says unauthorized

I think I figured it out. I tried emailing myself twice, and got this response both times:

“Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain yahoo.com by mta5.am0.yahoodns.net. [98.138.112.37].

The error that the other server returned was:
554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to [username]@yahoo.com cannot be delivered. This account has been disabled or discontinued [#102]. - mta1460.mail.ne1.yahoo.com

I know for a fact that the account is active, and has been for years, so I logged into that Yahoo account via browser and checked my settings.

It turns out that I had set my backup email (for password recovery purposes) as the Primary email address. I changed the Primary back to [username]@yahoo.com, and sent another test email. This one went through with no problem, and I received it normally via eM Client.

Hi again, great! Sounds like you’ve solved it, glad it works now, I think I wouldn’t be able to determine that this could be causing it.

Thank you for your input and the solution for other users who may be experiencing this as well. If it by any chance stops working again, let me know or even write me an email, we’ll take another look at the setup.

Thank you,
Paul.

I have not been getting the ‘not authorized’ pop-up since I disabled ‘Contacts’ in EM Client. However, it means that I can no longer see my Contact list in EM Client while that ‘disabled’ option is selected.

Upon seeing JC’s post about having his backup email address set to Primary in yahoo, I checked to make sure mine wasn’t. It was - so I changed it back as JC did.

Unfortunately, upon re-enabling ‘Contacts’ in EM Client, the ‘not authorized’ pop-up returned.

It seems that ensuring that the backup email is not set to Primary in yahoo may resolve the issue that JC was having when sending an email to himself but I think that is a separate and different issue to the ‘not authorized’ pop-up which returns as soon as I enable ‘Contact’ in EM Client.

Hi Joe, did you try removing the @yahoo.com from the login name when the error pops up as I suggested previously?

Thank you,
Paul.

Interestingly, I deleted my Yahoo account then added a new account – but this time i added a contacts account.  I added my yahoo contacts, clicked Next, then it presents 3 checkboxes labeled Email, Calendar and Contacts.  I checked Email and unchecked Contacts and it has not failed yet.  Not yet anyway.

Hi, I’m glad this solution is working for you, let me know if you experience any more issues with the setup or if you have any other questions or issues with the application.

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul McGregor, Employee

• 1286 Posts
     -  12 Likes

Hi again, the setup can be really tricky at the moment. Can you make sure that in the General tab your “User information” has the full email set as - [email protected] and the authentication has a login name set to - “name”, without the @yahoo.com. And of course that your password is correct which you’ve already checked?

Thank you,

Paul.

P.S. All other credentials in the account setting should have the user name set as[email protected] with the single exception in general tab, under authentication.

** This way is working fine with me. Thanks PM. 

Hi, I’m glad it works, thank you for the feedback and of course if you run across any other issues or questions about the app, let us know, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul.

In the Account settings for eM, I changed the name of the primary Yahoo email address back to the main from the alias I was using. I then took off the @yahoo from the email address (leaving just the name), and turned off the calendar and contacts. It is now syncing for the first time.

Later I will try turning back on the contacts, then the calendar to see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions all. ---- (BTW I like the “Operations” popup…nice touch!)

It’s working now…sort of. It’s stuck in an endless loop of “Synchronizing messages”, “Synchronizing subfolders”, and then “Uploading messages”. It does it over and over again,which is a huge bandwidth eater as there are thousands of messages archived there.

Now what to do? Suggestions? 

I haven’t changed my Yahoo account settings since the last time I posted about this, and now I’m getting a different pop-up while using Yahoo mail.

I just sent a test email to each of my Yahoo accounts, and received them both without a problem, but I still got the pop-up, and the repeated synching behavior as mentioned above by Stephen.

I  shut off the calendar and contacts and that seemed to help. I’m getting some error messages for bad emails, but that could have been some ancient corruption from Yahoo. Other than that, things seemed to have settled down somewhat.

I’m still suspicious about receiving some emails as one of the pop account doesn’t seem to be receiving correctly. If I get time tomorrow, I’ll confirm that…if true.

Hi Stephen and JC, can you please send me an email to [email protected], with the account settings screenshot from Tools > Accounts > Your Account > General?

Also please add a reference link to this forum topic…

Thank you, Paul.

Paul, I’m not sure how this can help, but I’m attaching the screenshot you asked for above (with vital info deleted, of course)… filename is “screenshot_General.jpg”

Hi, actually from the look at this screenshot I could use the uncensored version, can you please send it to my email as I mentioned above… Or just make sure the email adress is [email protected] and the login name is just the name from the email address without the @ without the domain.

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul, rest assured:  the login name is ONLY the name, not the domain and the email address is as you specified.

So all the content you’ve blacked out is identical, right?

Thank you,
Paul.

Blacked out email name and blacked out login name are exactly the same. Account name is NOT (but that should not make the slightest difference with anything…)

Most accts are normalized now, with just some oddball errors constantly coming from one Yahoo acct that seems to not sync some messages correctly (or are somehow corrupted). I still need to confirm that one POP acct is sending correctly, but will do tomorrow if I can find time.

Hi Stephen, sorry for my belated reply, so the unauthorized window is not popping up anymore? We still have some compatibility issues with yahoo, so some errors may popup, but the account should be working properly despite the errors.

Thank you,
Paul.