password doesn't work for gmail

password doesn’t work for gmail

Do you have 2 way authentication enabled in your Gmail account?

If so then you must go into the app password page and generate a code that you then enter into the client when prompted to to so. Note that you need to keep the spaces as well inbetween the password characters. 

Hi Duane, are you still having issues with this? As Darlip above suggested, if you’re using a two step verification option, you have to setup the account in eM client to use an app specific password generated in the google’s two step verification settings.

If not, please try to access this setting using your google account, https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps and check if the option is set to enable, after you do so, please check if the issue persists.

Thank you,
Paul

And “and check if the option is set to enable”.  Should it be enabled or disabled?

“Do you have 2 way authentication enabled in your Gmail account?” No.  It’s set to off…

What’s your phone number?

Hi Duane, if you’re not using the two step authentication and want to use your regular web access password to authenticate with eM Client, the option currently has to be set to enable.

Thank you,
Paul

I like your program, it’s too bad you don’t know how to support it.  Which option?  Regular web access password?  The password I use to log on or the password the computer uses to access the internet?  This could be handled in a few minutes by phone.  But no, let’s not do that!  I mean I’m just the end-user.  I guess I really don’t like your program.  I have a little time left before I die.  Why don’t you send me a step by step guide assuming I’m a complete idiot.  I don’t know or do I care which way should 2 way authentication be? Enabled or disabled?  Remember if you can, my password doesn’t work for gMail… 

I am having the same issue while using GMAIL, however, I have updated this option for all of the accounts. only my primary GMAIL is able to login, but not my business or family GMAIL accounts. I wonder if this may be the same for Duane as well. Either way, the program needs to be able to support multiple GMAIL accounts.

Hi again Duane, sorry not completely sure what you’re referring to I’ve pointed you out to the exact setting that needs to be enabled in case you want to use your regular password (the one you would use online) to authenticate with eM Client.

Two step verification must be off in this case, in case it was on you would have to authenticate using an app specific password generated in your google account settings.

Regards,
Paul

Hi Sarina, as Google Apps accounts don’t have the less secure option, you might be forced to enable the two step verification option on your google account, or try to access the setting if you’ll be able to access it and set it to enable.

All initial authentication issues with a newly created google account may be related to this setting, we’re currently working on implementing the OAuth authentication standard improving eM Client to follow current security options.

Regards,
Paul

Idiots Guide :slight_smile: (assuming there is not actually a bug in emClient).

When you say the “password I use to log on” I assume you mean the password you use to log on to your computer (assuming that when the screen locks you have it set to ask for a password after the screen locks or if you shut the computer down). This may or may not be the same password you use to access your Gmail account.

There is no password to “access the internet”. Once you are signed into your computer you open a browser and go.

When you add an email account to emClient you need to use the password you used when you set up the email account…in this case your Gmail password. (same idea if you use Hotmail or a Microsoft Exchange email address or any other).

If your Gmail account is set up to require 2 step authentication (you have to do this yourself as it is not the default when you create a Gmail account), then you need to create an application specific password for emClient…meaning you cannot use the same password that you would normally use to sign into Gmail in a web browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox). Paul’s original response has a link that explains how to do this. If you did not add 2 step authentication to your Gmail account (or someone on your behalf) then you should be able to add you Gmail Account to emClient using your Gmail password.

I have 3 Gmail accounts. 1 has 2-step authentication and therefore required me to generate an application specific password for that Gmail account, the other 2 are normal and I set up those accounts in emClient using my normal Gmail password for those Gmail addresses. I also have 2 Microsoft Exchange accounts for business and I set up those accounts in emClient using the passwords that I use to sign in to those accounts via a web browser. They are difference passwords than my Gmail accounts.

Hope this helps a wee bit.

Then your really should take down the claim that your product works with gmail.  It clearly doesn’t for me.  Big waste of time trying to get it to work only to find your are "working on implemnting the OAuth…).  At least announce this limitation on your download page up front.  Sours me on buying your product.  Glad I tried the free version - I would of been out 49.00

Hi Curt, the application has full support for gmail features. There are two ways for authenticating with the server, using the less secure option is one of them, you can however also use the more secure option and authenticate using an app specific password.

OAuth is a new feature on the Gmail server, and implementing new features is a very time consuming process, it can’t be done overnight, or at least if we want to make sure the option doesn’t have any security issues or doesn’t cause any other issues while using eM Client, I’m positive this is a good thing.

If you ever come back to eM Client, let us know if you come across any other questions, we’ll be happy to help.

Regards,
Paul

What am I suppose to do?

I tried changing the password settings on Google. It worked. This required resetting all mobile devices used for gmail. I retract my snarkey comments - the product is now working flawlesly. I would like to apologize. It is EXACTLY what I hoped it would be. The Windows 8. Mail client is the biggest joke in the history of PCs. Im an Apple guy and if takes more than a point and click I get aggravated. Thanks for the rapid reply Paul - im looking forward to putting eM Client through it’s trial. I was having a rough morning after Bill Gates hijacked my computer for 48 minutes while updating me. I guess he owns my laptop. Thanks again for your email and rapid response.

when i try to login, it asks for my username and password which i have but it persistently insists on saying they are required every time!!! what am i supposed to do? my account is gmail,

sincerely,

Kennedy

Please try to follow the above posted advice on how to get your google account working with eM Client, if the password required keeps popping up.

Regards,
Paul

Please try to follow the above posted advice on how to get your google account working with eM Client, if the password required keeps popping up.

Regards,
Paul