Outlook.com issue this morning

When issues just pop up without any changes to the OS or eM Client, then more then likely it is a email service provider issue, and not with eM Client.

Both desktops use the same anti-virus/firewall settings and both Outlook accounts are set up as IMAP on eM Client. Same goes for the laptops.

I don’t believe I said this is an eM Client issue. Someone posted a problem and I add my own experience about it. Isn’t info sharing is what this forum all about?

I would assume also you use the same network connection. All I can say based on the information you provided is that it must be the email service provider if all things are equal. Hopefully it starts working again once they resolve the issue.

I assumed since you said Thunderbird and Outlook worked you were alluding to the issue being with eM Client. Sounds like you also agree it is with the service provider Microsoft, and not an eM Client issue. Thanks for sharing you’re are having similar issues with the provider, hopefully they eventually fix it. I agree, sharing is caring.

@Gary It sounds like deja vu to me. In the end, didn’t eM Client roll out a fix in a future version of eM Client? :thinking:

BTW, in this scenario it’s odd because 3 out of 5 Outlook (Hotmail) accounts are fine but two are not. In other words,. I’m experiencing the same issue as OP. I have some Costco popcorn ready to see how this movie ends.

There is nothing that can be fixed in the client application because it is an issue on your provider’s server.

If this server issue doesn’t resolve itself, please contact the email provider for assistance.

1 Like

@Gary You said the same last time too and the issue was resolved within the emclient itself.

Additionally, other apps I’m using don’t have this issue. At this point in time in the absence of new facts, I’m blaming emclient.

Furthermore, instead of being firm in your position and deflecting or pointing the finger at something other than the emclient, it would be prudent to pass along our issues to the development team or remain silent.

No, it is a know server issue, and was resolved by the email provider.

We already provide a short description of the issue in the error.

“[IMAP] Known Microsoft Exchange server error “User is authenticated but not connected.” has been encountered on IMAP connection. This issue is temporary and should be automatically resolved by the server. If not, please contact your mail provider.”

This error means that the authentication process for your account was successful, but for some reason the mail server is not giving eM Client access to the account data, so it cannot synchronize your messages into the app. Unfortunately, this is not something we can resolve from our side, it needs to be resolved from the side of the mail server that actually contains all your data.

If the server doesn’t resolve the issue automatically after some time, please contact the email provider for assistance.

1 Like

To add to this, the email client Geary on Linux is experiencing the same problem (as seen on Reddit). MS has done something to IMAP. This post, again, wasn’t meant as a “hey you have a problem with eM Client” just a “hey users we’re all experiencing it”

For now, I just switched to using Outlook. :man_shrugging:

The same here. My @outlook.com doesn’t work but my @hotmail.com does. Been this way for over 3 days now. If it’s solely a MS issue, I wonder why it’s not universal to all MS email services.

Gary, this seems to be happening every few weeks and seems to randomly impact various email applications (emclient, thunderbird) but I’ve not seen on-line complaints from MS Outlook/Office/365 users. You’ve stated a few times in the past something regarding OAuth (and EWS?), but that’s beyond my understanding.
Maybe MS is doing this so that people will buy MS’s Outlook software? I just don’t understand how the email server can authenticate a login but then not actually connect, especially when one can log in on a web browser and the email server works. Maybe it’s not purposefully, but it seems suspicious…

Wouldn’t be the first time Microsoft tried to force the use of their own software with their services: Microsoft is forcing Outlook and Teams to open links in Edge, and IT admins are angry - The Verge

@Buraman

The same here. My @outlook.com doesn’t work but my @hotmail.com does.

Does your Outlook.com account have the same IMAP or Exchange setting as your Hotmail ?

If it doesn’t, make it the same and see if it works.

If it still doesn’t, suggest to remove and re-add it via the automatic email wizard setup & try again.

Note: If you do remove and re-add that account, backup eM Client first via "Menu / Backup.

Hi cyberzork, thanks for the inputs. In EM Client settings, the two accounts have identical settings.

Regarding my two MS accounts, I use the outlook.com for most things and definitly only for communications I know the other party. The hotmail.com I use much less and save it for for things that have more spam risk.

The settings on “Outlook” differ in one regard under “Sync email”. I allow POP for the hotmail but not for outlook. I don’t want POP deleting my emails when I access them via my phone.

Now there is a setting that says to not delete the message but move it “to a special POP folder instead”. I was tempted to try this setting on my outlook account, but didn’t want to risk it, and frankly wasn’t hopeful this would matter at all.

When this all occurred previously in Feb, the remove and re-add account had no effect. I simply waited it out for more than a week. Back then, it was both accounts, which is another reason I am doubtful that POP matters.

@Buraman

In EM Client settings, the two accounts have identical settings

What’s your Outlook acct Server , Port & Security policy ?

In EM Client, this is the same for both accounts:
IMAP
Host: imap-mail.outlook.com
Port: 993
Security policy: Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
SMTP
Host: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 587
Security policy: Force usage of SSL/TLS

And on-line this is the same for both accounts on-line:
IMAP
Server name: outlook.office365.com
Encryption method: TLS
SMTP
Server name: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: STARTTLS

@Buraman

In EM Client, this is the same for both accounts:
IMAP
Host: imap-mail.outlook.com
Security policy: Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)

Try eM Client as the same IMAP server address outlook.office365.com , as some other forum peeps have found that to work rather than the standard imap-mail.outlook.com address.

Note: The only time normally neither work properly is when either “Microsoft have current issues” as @Gary & others advised above, or if users have Windows 7 without the TLS 1.2 registry mod.

Ps For myself personally my Outlook Hotmail and Live account under Win 11 & Mac with eM Client V9.2 are working fine “using either of your settings”. So does sound like ms server issues wherever you connect to in the world, if both ms server addresses are giving same IMAP error.

I tried changing the IMAP server as suggested but it didn’t fix the issue. :frowning:

@Buraman

I tried changing the IMAP server as suggested but it didn’t fix the issue.

Ok as both MS server addresses do the same thing, then it can only be MS Server IMAP issues “from your part of the world” connecting to the Microsoft mirror mail servers.

I would contact Microsoft Technical support by phone and let them know either IMAP server address with those port / security settings are both doing the same thing from your location.

Microsoft Global Technical support numbers.

Note: If your a home (non business user) when the page opens and you press the “Get Help” button, type Phone support in the search box to get options to contact Microsoft via phone.

You also will normally need to sign in with your Microsoft acct to then get phone support.

1 Like