Outlook 2013 unexplained error during import

I am trying to import a pst file from outlook 2013 but part way through get an unexplained error message.  I’ve tried compressing the pst file.  I kept getting a reminder come up while doing the import and thought this might explain it but changing the relevant item made no difference.  From searching I found suggestion of logging which I have done but cannot make sense of the output. Here are some of the lines at the end (can’t see how to attach the file here) but I can’t make sense of the exception.

As with some other posters I can see imported items but don’t know what is missing.

Any ideas how to solve?

23:12:44.252|00A|   PST Import - EventImporter: CreateRecurrencePattern - ReservedBlock - started with index 174/35023:12:44.252|00A|   PST Import - EventImporter: CreateRecurrencePattern - ExtendedException - started with index 344039018/350
23:12:48.066|00A|   PST Import: ImportDataWorker exception : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
23:12:48.066|00A|      at MailClient.Importers.Pst.EventImporter.CreateRecurrencePattern(Appointment app)
23:12:48.066|00A|      at MailClient.Importers.Pst.EventImporter.CreateEventItem(Item item, RecurrencePattern& pattern, Boolean importCategories)
23:12:48.066|00A|      at MailClient.Importers.Pst.PstImporter.ImportItem(Folder target, Item item, PstImportAccount importAccount, IAccountWithFolder account)
23:12:48.066|00A|      at MailClient.Importers.Pst.PstImporter.ImportFolder(String sourcePath, Folder source, Nullable1 specialFolderType, PstImportAccount importAccount, Boolean isRoot) 23:12:48.066|00A|      at MailClient.Importers.Pst.PstImporter.ImportFolder(String sourcePath, Folder source, Nullable1 specialFolderType, PstImportAccount importAccount, Boolean isRoot)
23:12:48.066|00A|      at MailClient.Importers.Pst.PstImporter.ImportFolder(String sourcePath, Folder source, Nullable`1 specialFolderType, PstImportAccount importAccount, Boolean isRoot)
23:12:48.066|00A|      at MailClient.Importers.Pst.PstImporter.ImportToFolders(String fileName, PstImportAccount importAccount)
23:12:48.066|00A|      at MailClient.Importers.Pst.PstImporter.ImportDataWorker(IWin32Window owner, BackgroundWorker worker, DoWorkEventArgs arg)
23:12:48.638|00A|   PST Import: PST Import finished

Well no response from anyone.

I have continued to search for any help in the emclient forum and the wider web to no avail.

I cannot make sense of the errors in the log file; I would have preferred to understand this and see if I could fix the issue in outlook before import.

I tried repairing the pst file using scanpst.exe; this did not fix it.

Anyway, I finally seem to have got everything imported -
The error was occuring due to the calendar so I imported everything in the pst file except the calendar.
I exported the calendar from outlook to an i calendar (ics) file and then imported this to em client without any problems.

So why couldn’t em client import the calendar from the pst file.

I  hope this can be of help to someone else in the future.

Any advice of how I can decode the  error from the log file would be welcome.

Hello Philip, glad you were able to workaround the issue, you’ve mentioned the import wasn’t processed due to an error? Usually if some items can not be imported through the import feature, the item should be skipped or you should be prompted for corrupt item, have you received any kind of errors during the import, except the one logged?

Some of the items couldn’t be imported due to an error:

23:12:48.066|00A|   PST Import: ImportDataWorker exception : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 

However I believe the item should be skipped automatically.

What version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check the exact release number in Help > About?

Thank you.

…I’ve checked with the developers and seems the problem is with a recurring event saved in your PST file, we might be able to fix this issue, however based on the error only we are not. Do you think you could share the corrupt PST file with us for successfully replicating the issue?

If so, can you please submit the corrupt file to my email, mcgregor@emclient.com with a reference link to this forum topic?

Thank you.

I am using version 6.0.22344.0.

I do not believe the import skipped the problem item as after it aborted/finished there were many missing emails; I have many folders and some were completely missing. I presume a large pst file accumulated over many years will have everything mixed up.  So it seems that some but not  all email was imported and then it switched to importing calendar entries and tripped up part way through as I could see many calendar items missing.

Incidentally, one item of feedback.  As I kept experimenting to find a way to successfully do a complete import I kept having to delete the results of partial imports.  The deduplicator was great for this but trying to completely delete was more difficult as only one email folder at a time could be deleted; mulitples could not be selected and for the calendar I had to select all on the month view, delete, scroll down and repeat until I had worked through the whole calendar.

Another point - I have been trying to export contacts back from em client to use in another calendar program (trialling alternatives) and am having trouble with vcf export; it would be good it there was a csv export option.

I would be happy to send the pst file but can’t as it’s 0.5GB so will try a file transfer site.  Please take care with my data and delete after use for this investigation.

Regards

Phil

Hello again Philip, thank you for sharing the data with us, we were able to resolve the issue thanks to this file, the fix will be released in the next update, I hope that’s alright since you were able to resolve the issue already.

Make sure to let us know if you come across any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you.

Yes, as you say I overcame the problem.  Does your fix cope with the problem appointment and import it or just able to skip over and continue importing the remaining items?  I did notice when I ran scanpst.exe to try and repair the pst file that there were several reports of errors it couldn’t fix.  I wondered if certain types of recurring appointments were a problem, such as perhpas unbounded ones ie recurring forever.

Hello Philip, our initial test with the new release has allowed us to finish the import with one of the items being skipped, some other were imported correctly (from the ones that have caused the issue).