Order of names in "contacts" does not change in "buisness cards" view

Maybe I did not find the solution or the issue is already posted?
This is a work-around, which helps me. :slight_smile:
I have 7.0.26482.0.

Problem: Order of names in “contacts” does not change, if you set change it in the custom view and than set the view ack to “Buisness cards”. (e.g. You want “Name Surname”, but have “Surname, Name”.)

Solution/Work-Around: Set the Order you want in the settings and then click on “Update Contacts”, even if the contacts data stays the same! (I only use CardDaV for contacts.)

After that the Cards are show in correct order.

Regards,

Michael

EDIT: I posted this in “Calendar”, because there was not category “Contacts”.

Hello Michael,
thank you for your Solution, though I am unsure about the issue you describe.
The Business cards will behave according to the basic Setting. Custom view lets you sort and see the contacts in the way you need. This is according to the design of the application.

Regards,
Olivia

Hello Oliva!

It seems I confused the “Updating” with “Syncing only”. I first did try to change the order in  “File new contacts as”, but after I clicked “Ok” or even restarted eM Client, nothing happened. I thought
“Well, I says “NEW contacts”, so the option to generally reorder the names has to be elsewere”.
That’s why I assumed that I could adopt the order from the custom view.

I also had my contacts data on a CardDAV-server but not in a local folder. When I clicked on “Update Contacts” eM Client asked me to choose my folder. When I chose the CardDAV folder, I saw the “running/working status bar” at the bottom left, so I assumed, that something was wrong if syncing also reorders the names. Did I have a local contacts folder, it had not synced but just reordered, right?

I found another little thing which I do not understand. When I use a “&” in a contact name, it is replaced in the print (preview) by an empty space if I print an adress book. As a example the name of an organization like “Mario & Luigi Plumbing Inc.” becomes “Mario   Luigi Plumbing Inc.”. But that’s a really small issue.

Regards
Michael

Hello Michael,
clicking the “Update Contacts” does apply the new choice to your Contacts (unless your server does not support this change).
The contacts do not need to be in Local folders for the change to apply. I just tested this with Gmail, Outlook and CardDAV/Exchange Contact folders.
Any change done to the Contacts is synchronized to your server, if it isn’t a local folder.
Did you wait for the progress bar to finish? Was there any error message?

I replicated the print issue with the & symbol and have our programmers look at it.

Regards,
Olivia

Hello Oliva,

First of all: It works. My Business Cards are shown in correct order. That’s the most important.:slight_smile:

I think, I just did not understand the design of eM Client correctly.

To answer the questions in your last answer:

Did you wait for the progress bar to finish? Was there any error message?

No, It did finish and I had no error message.

And you wrote:

Any change done to the Contacts is synchronized to your server, if it isn’t a local folder.

You mean, that eM Client _propagates_   the changed order of names to the server, right? I did not assume that. If that is the case, then I see why a sync is needed after changing the order of names in the settings  - even if I do not change the name of a street or similar information in the contacts. When I change the name of a street, eM Client does automatically sync with the server folder. That works flawlessly.

When I change the order of names in the settings of eM Client, just clicking on „Ok“ in the settings window that is not enough. I have to sync it manually by clicking of „Update contacts“. And the setting „File \ new_ contacts as“ means that _ every__ existing contact will be filed under the new order, if that setting is changed (and the contacts updated). I hope I got it right.

So then there is no issue and my „solution“ is just the way it was designed to be. I’m sorry for the confusion, but I just  did not expect that the order is propagated to the server. 

[Maybe you could change this feature,so  that the naming order is  automatically updated if the user changes it in the settings.]

Regards and many thanks,

Michael