Hello. I have a problem. I have eM version 7.2.36694.0 with free licence (7). OS Win 7. All my letters are synced from gmail account. I lately noticed that when searching letters or scrolling through the list, letters more than 3 weeks old – the ones that are marked “older” in the list – appear empty. This means that I see the sender and the subject in the list but when I open the e-mail it is without any text. Also if there is an attachment, I cannot se eor open it. In g-mail, the letters are fine. I know that the same letters were usable in eM not more than month ago. I have not changed my computer or the system meanwhile. What can cause this. If more information is needed, please ask.
i have the same problem at windows 7 today,please help.
In eM Client, right-click on the All Mail folder and choose Properties > Repair.
I tried that. But it does not seem to work. I still see older letters as empty…
A more aggressive method is to delete the GMail account from eM Client, then add it again.
nothing at all ,the same problem
now the aplication isnot opening
i notice that happened after the latest update of windows 7
Yep. After trying repair, when I quit from eM, it did not start again. It started “inconsistend data check” and “corrupted database” check, completed the database check but failed inconsistent data one and wont open.
System.ApplicationException: database disk image is malformed
database disk image is malformed
DELETE FROM mail_data.LocalMailContents WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT id FROM mail_index.MailItems WHERE id=mail_data.LocalMailContents.id);
1.ImportFromResource(IDbConnection connection, Stream myStream, CancellationToken token) at MailClient.Storage.Data.DbRepository1.ImportFromManifestResource(String resourceName, CancellationToken token)
1.Repair(RepairMode mode, CancellationToken token) at MailClient.Accounts.ItemRepositories.Repair(RepairMode mode, CancellationToken token) at DbRepair.ConsistencyChecker.CheckConsistencyForAccount(String accountDirectory, RepairMode mode, CancellationToken token) at DbRepair.ConsistencyChecker.\<\>c\_\_DisplayClass2\_0.<check>b__0(String p)<br alt="" name="" rel="" target="" title="" type="" value=""> at DbRepair.PerAccountExecutor.Execute(String dataStoreLocation, Func2 action)
at DbRepair.ConsistencyChecker.Check(RepairMode mode, CancellationToken token)
at DbRepair.CheckingProcess.Check(CancellationToken token)
DatastoreLocation: C:\Users\Kasutaja\AppData\Roaming\eM Client<br alt="" name="" rel="" target="" title="" type="" value="">
I finally gave up, uninstalled and reinstalled eM, now the problem is gone.
i unistall it and install again and after 1 day the same problem again.
no solution yet
There were some display issues with recent versions of eM Client, so one thing you could try is to uninstall eM Client, then download and install 7.2.35595 from the Release History.
Maybe that will make a difference.
ok i will try it now