No longer able to receive emails from GMail

Everything was working fine up until a few days ago when I stopped receiving emails from my GMail account. Possibly related to my upgrade to 7.2.36908.0? Looking in the operations logs I see 4 synchronising folder entries that look OK and 3 Uploading messages entries that look OK followed by
MailClient.Accounts.ConnectionException:
0
at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.ThrowIfConnectionBroken(BasivResponse respose)
at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.Synchronizer.AppendCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Exceute(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

Disabling AV doesn’t resolve the issue, any ideas?

There have been issues with Google, but 7.2.36908 is supposed to have temporarily addressed that.

You can always uninstall eM Client , then download the previous version that was working from the Release History. That may determine if it is the version or the provider.

Thanks for the response, before I give that a try, can you confirm if I would lose any of my EmClient email archives? 

During the uninstall you will be asked if you want to delete the database directory. Choosing not to delete it will keep the data, but to be safe make a backup using Menu > File > Backup.

Reinstalled as suggested but still have the problem with the previous version which suggests the problem is somewhere else, anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try? I’ve already tried turning AV off. The full messages I get in the log when I try to reconnect 

[IMAP] Uploading messages: To folder xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com/[GMail]/All Mail
[Google Contacts] Synchronising folder list
[Google Contacts] Synchronising folder ‘xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com/Contacts/’
[IMAP] Uploading messages: Done
[IMAP] Uploading messages: To folder xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com/[GMail]/All Mail
[IMAP] Uploading messages: Done
MailClient.Accounts.ConnectionException:
0
at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.ThrowIfConnectionBroken(BasivResponse respose)
at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.Synchronizer.AppendCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Exceute(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

Suggestions?

Remove the GMail account from eM Client, then add it again.

I have the same issue , it didn’t help …syncing folders stays for hours …

Same here. I’ve 2 Gmail accounts. Suddenly one of those 2 won’t load the messages…Noting changed here. Did an uninstall en installed the previous version. No luck.

Just tried with MS Outlook. No problems to send and receive gmail e-mails with this e-mail client.

I just tried the account deletion and re-adding the account and it all works for me now, I am still on version 7.2.36694.

Big Thanks Gary

Hanno, please see official announcements on this forum. eM Client has been having some issues with Google, so depending on which version you are using, the problem may be caused by this.

The latest published version, 7.2.36908, apparently goes some way to address this. If you are not using that version, you can download it from the Release History. See if that makes any difference.

Thanks for you reply Gary. I already tried different versions without luck. Also deleting my gmail account and re-adding it gave me nothing. Now i am back on the latest 7.2.36908 version. Strange enough one of my gmail account is no problem. Checked some differences between the settings in the Gmail accounts but that gave me nothing. Like i said, Ms Outlook works without no problem on both accounts.

Just disabled Kaspersky AV. and all works! After enablling all keeps working fine. Strange… But solved!

I did not mention disabling the AV because in his original post, Warren said he already did that.

Glad it is now working.