New Messages on Top

I just downloaded eM client and I see a preference called “Set default date sort order”. I have this set to “New Messages on Top” but messages are still displaying at the bottom.

Just to be clear: this setting affects the chronological order in which email messages within a conversation appear correct?

I guess it’s worth mentioning that it’s January of 2021 and I see this same issue being raised by other users in previous years so I’m assuming this is a bug in this version of eM (8.1.1015)?

Thanks

No, this setting affects the order of conversations in the message list. Messages within a conversation have always been ordered with the newest at the bottom, and there is no setting to change that.

I proposed a change some years back:

If I understood you correctly, I don’t think users will find it useful to display both the Message List and messages within a conversation in ascending chronological order (i.e., newest last).

It’s a shame that there’s no setting to display at the top new messages within conversations. This is a turn off.

Thunderbird still displays the message list with the newest last, so someone must find it useful. I don’t and that is why I proposed allowing the eM Client user to choose for both the message list and the messages within the conversation.

At the time I made the proposal, I also thought so. Somehow, after years of doing this way, I have got used to it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not sure I want to pay for the license with this shortcoming.

This is not a shortcoming IMHO. Me too I got pissed at first (I have a message in this forum about it) but I quickly got used to it.

1 Like

wow. doesn’t it take more time to argue about such a tiny simple feature as adding a sort option to conversations than just to just do it?

Just because you or I request a new feature, doesn’t mean that the developers will stop everything else to implement that. Would be nice, but we live in the real world. :wink:

All requests are taken seriously, though not all will be implemented.

However, you will be happy to know that our developers have been working on this. I recently commented about this elsewhere:

Hi! I also would like to see conversations ordered with the newest replies at the top, to be consistent with the default message list ordering. Can I confirm that this is not possible with the current 9.1 release of emclient?

In 9.1 we now provide a thread view in the message list, which you can access by clicking on the arrow in the conversation message number. That will expand the thread and display the messages in the list with the newest at the top.

But in the message preview we display the messages in the order you will read them, so starting with the oldest at the top, which is the natural reading order.