New account download

Question about linking an old yahoo account with 100,000+ emails with my Windows  eMclient. Doing so would it automatically download all the 100K+ emails in my local disk? I am concerned about the large size it may occupy. Thanks.

By default, when you set up an IMAP account, eM Client only downloads the headers and the email body is not downloaded until it is selected (even then it does not store it locally).  Headers take up very little disk space.  Be aware, however, since the message body is not downloaded, searching for text strings in the mail body will not return the expected results.  To verify the setting, go to menu/tools/accounts and click on the IMAP tab.

Thanks Jay,

Follow up question,
So selecting the “Download message for offline use” stores complete header and body of a message in local disk  (implying huge disk space usage for old email account)
Otherwise it just downloads  the header and swaps in and out the body of the message on demand. Correct? 

That is correct.  Although, there is also an option to download attachments for offline use and that is the real disk space hog.

Great! anyway to monitor local disk space usage by emClient?

Yes.  Make sure you have view hidden files checked (in windows explorer) and go to:
c:\users[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\eM Client.  While the actual data files are buried in cryptically named folders, you can search for mail_data.dat.  My system has several of these files, only 1 is very large. (note:-- I have 5 email accounts, approx. 17,500 messages and my store is 6.6 GB and I download message body for offline use-- but NOT attachments).

jay,

Unfortunately its a POP3 email account. Anyway of configuring the email client not to download years and years of old emails! 

Oh, POP3… Then ignore what I said about download for offline use, as POP3 does not support this option.  Full messages are always downloaded with POP3.

POP3 only downloads from the inbox, so using your web client, copy the messages you don’t want to download to another folder.  This, of course, assumes they are on the server.  If you are importing them from another client (i.e., they have already been downloaded, that’s another problem.