Never leaves "Outbox"

Just installed latest version of eMClient on a friends HP laptop running WIN 10. Friend is on a Dial-Up connection (only connection availabe for that area).
eMClient sends most messages with no problem but there is one email that sends to the recipient but it remains in the outbox! I am still working with the friend and will try several things to see if it is a corrupted email. Currently working remotely!
Thought I would post the situation here in case others have run into the situation

Wow still on dialup connection. You would be limited with the size of emails going out on dialup connections

Does your friend have a file or files attached to the message in the outbox that’s stuck ? If so what size are the attachments.

The entire message is only 171KB. The message actually gets sent and is received by the recipient but it never leaves the “Outbox” so my friend thinks it hasn’t been sent. My friend can click “Refresh” over and over but the message never leaves the “Outbox”! The poor recipient gets the message for each time the “Refresh” button is clicked and ends up with many copies of the same message!!
I’ll be working with the situation today and will give an update if we can solve the situation!

Sounds like the SMTP server is not giving the correct response once the message has been sent. See @Gary post previously from another thread.

Jun '20

Your server is not sending the correct response once the message has been sent, therefor eM Client will send it again and again, until it gets the OK from the server. Go to Menu > Tools > Operations and look for any SMTP errors in the Log tab.

To stop the messages being sent again, delete them from the Outbox

I’m also experiencing the same problem, with less than optimal rural internet service. There is a subtle indication that the email was successfully sent because the Outbox email heading morphs from a dark highlighted color to a lighter color after it has left the building. The problem with deleting the email from the Outbox is that there is no record of it being sent. So I ‘Move to folder’ and select the ‘Sent’ folder to get around that problem.

I’m also experiencing the same problem, with less than optimal rural internet service.

You would also need to get the actual SMTP error from the operations log as per prev post.

The error log seems like over 100 lines . . . how do I get any useful info out of it ??
Specifically what am I looking for ?

Specifically what am I looking for

SMTP operations errors in the log.

As I mentioned, there are over 100 lines of error messages, none of which make sense to a non-techie.
Is there something specific I should look for ?
Thanks for your help.

As I mentioned, there are over 100 lines of error messages, none of which make sense to a non-techie

Paste whatever you have then so the forum can have a look and see if we can see what’s wrong.

Please don’t paste the whole Operations log.

Just copy the line that has the error, and paste that. It will be something that starts with [SMTP] and will usually be more than a single line of wrapped text.

1 Like

9:46:23 AM mike@novacan.net [SMTP] MailClient.Accounts.SocketException: Sending messages failed due to the following reason:
“Unable to write data to the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond…”
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
EnqueuedStackTrace =
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.b__0()
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline(Action actionIfOnline, Action actionIfOffline)
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.SendAsync(IEnumerable1 items, Action1 sentItem, Action1 completed, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.SendInternal() at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.Send() at MailClient.UI.Forms.formSendMail.<>c__DisplayClass436_4.<Send>b__6(CancellationToken cancellationToken) at MailClient.UI.LongOperationService.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<MailClient.ILongOperationService.InitOperation>b__0(CancellationToken ct) at MailClient.UI.LongOperationService.<>c__DisplayClass13_01.<b__0>d.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
at MailClient.UI.LongOperationService.<>c__DisplayClass13_01.<InitOperation>b__0() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<.cctor>b__277_0(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunFromThreadPoolDispatchLoop(Thread threadPoolThread, ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot, Thread threadPoolThread)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntryUnsafe(Thread threadPoolThread)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteFromThreadPool(Thread threadPoolThread)
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()
GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

As a test, can you completely disable any anti-virus, firewall, proxy or VPN, then try again.
Sometimes even restarting your router may resolve this.

If that doesn’t help, go to Menu > Accounts and check you have one of the following combinations of port and security policy:

Port 587 = Force usage of SSL/TLS
Port 25 = Use SSL/TLS if available
Port 465 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)

Click on Save & Close if you make any changes. Then try send a message again.

That worked.
Port was correct.
Disabled all other items as suggested.
What does that tell us ?
(can’t really function without firewall or anti-virus)

That means one of those programs either hasn’t allowed eM Client access in its configuration and is blocking or interferring with it. Some Antivirus Programs like eg: AVG & Avast etc are very common for blocking mail clients in general and you have to disable the inbound mail scanning to work.

So open any optional Antivirus and/or Firewall programs setup and make sure eM Client is “allowed access” and also “how to disable inbound mail scanning” as you might need to do that to. If you are not sure how to do that contact those program vendors via their websites or phone and ask how to do that. Most have documentation on their websites as this type of this is a common problem when using lots of mail clients.

With VPN’s you normally have to disable them anyway when using mail clients as most won’t work with them enabled due to the way the IP address’s etc change when running. The odd one will, but not most. Same goes for optional Proxy type connections.

If you have Windows 10 or 11 you don’t need any optional programs installs to be safe as the built in Windows defender within Windows Security works just fine for Antivirus and Firewall. VPN’s and Proxys are allways optional anyway to hide your real connections so up to you if you run those, but normally as i said above have to be disabled.to allow Mail clients to work properly.

Grateful for your help.