Need help to restore please

Hi, can someone please help me?

My email settings was changed and all old emails disappeared. I tried to restore and read previous postings however could not get it still. So sorry, I am not technically sound.

Can I restore from the default AppData/Roaming/eM Client to get back my old emails including all sent emails from the sent folder? If yes, how to do it please?

When I clicked Restore, it prompted me to “Browse For Folder”. Which folder to select please as it contains the following folders:-

1. Logs
  2. Archive
  3. Local Folders
  4. Search Folders
  5. d69c7542…inside this it has another folder

I tried all of the above and it kept prompting the same screen “Browse For Folder”.

I’ve an old back-up zip file from Nov 2019 and I can also use that, better than not having all of my past emails. How do I do that please? The back-up zip file contains the above mentioned folders too except for (1) Logs folder.

Would appreciate it if someone could please detail out all the steps to be taken to get back my old emails.

Thanks so much!!

Backups are usually stored in your /Documents/eM Client/ folder. Go to Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Backup and see what the target directory is. That is where you will find the backups. They are zip files named something like backup_202003312007.zip. However, if you had not set eM Client to backup automatically, or did not manually make regular backups, then you will have nothing to restore.

To restore the backup you made in November, go to Menu > File > Restore and browse to the location of that file. This will restore eM Client to the way it was in November.

What settings did you change that resulted in the data loss?

Hi Gary, thanks so much for replying promptly!

I have double checked and yes I do have the zip file back-up in /Documents/eM Client/. I tried again from your guide and browsed to the exact location, however it prompted me to the same thing that is “selected folder does not contain any backup files. Please select another location”. I am very sure about the location. I have also tried saving the backup zip file to another location & the same thing happened. Really at a lost now. Still hoping that you could help me.

The server settings changed and so old emails disappeared from eM Client.

Thanks much again, Gary!

One thing you can try.

In eM Client, make a backup using Menu > File > Backup. When that is done, close eM Client and extract the November zip file to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ replacing the files that are there is prompted. You may have to enable hidden items in Windows Explorer to get there.

Disconnect from the Internet and restart eM Client. You should now be where you were in November. 

Make a backup using Menu > File > Backup, and when that is done reconnect to the Internet.