My hard drive crashed. Unable to transfer data files .

My hard drive crashed. I have managed to extract em client onto the new drive but every time I copy across the data file em client then crashes. I have ensured that em client was switched off during the process. Any help would be very much appreciated. Should transfer not be possible,is there a way of being able to read the contacts list so that at the very least I am able to reconstruct my email address.

Ideally, with eM Client closed, you want to copy the complete C:\Users_username_\AppData\Roaming\eM Client directory. If there is some problem with the database, a database check should be run when you start eM Client. Try that and see what happens.

Hi Gary,as explained, You can transfer the data base across but as soon as you start up em client it just crashes. How do you perform the data base check ? Thanks Richard

The database check should start automatically if there is some problem, but you can run it manually by closing eM Client and running C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\ DbRepair.exe

If that is not running automatically, or if manually running it does not find a problem, then the database is probably OK. You can check if it is the database by renaming C:\Users_username_\AppData\Roaming\eM Client to something else. When eM Client restarts it will create a new blank database.

If eM Client still crashes, try reinstalling it by downloading the latest version from http://www.emclient.com/release-history.

While it is not advisable to copy only parts of the database, if you can get eM Client running with a blank database, you can copy the files beginning with contacts* from the old disk C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\Local Folders\ to the new one.

If the contacts were in further sub-folders, you want to copy the folders* files as well to maintain the structure.

Very grateful for your assistance. I will see what happens next. I may take a little while to get back to you because of a family event. But as soon as I can get back to it I will let you know how it turned out. So frustrating ! Thank you so much I appreciate your time. Kind regards Richard.

Hello again,nothing seems to work. Em client just keeps crashing. Is there a way to read the file data so at least I could manually extract my contact list? Many thanks Ri hRd

Did you try renaming C:\Users_username_\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ to something else? Did eM Client still crash when it started?

If it did please try reinstall eM Client by downloading the latest version from http://www.emclient.com/release-history and see if that fixes the crashing problem.