Multiple active languages in spell checker

That’s a bummer.

As a compromise, could we at least remove unwanted languages from the selection?

And have a keyboard shortcut to toggle through the languages?

Thanks!

Again, you guys are doing a fantastic job, and while I understand Product Management, roadmap and priorities (I work in that field) I also think that feedback from ‘power’ users should not be handled in an (even if ever so slightly) patronizing way :wink:

Only shortcut with simillar fucntion os “F7” (by default) which check spelling in new messages, we really do not plan to implement more features about this in eM Client at this moment.

It is not working most efficiently, but it is working in a standard way so we need to focus on more important issues at this moment.

Jan

Dear EmClient Team!

Please consider implementing this future (multiple language instant spell-checker). After using your software personally, I’ve proposed to roll it out corporately, but this is one the stoppers in compare to MS Outlook for my colleagues…

Thank you for the suggestion Vladimir, we’ll consider this feature for future releases of eM Client.

Paul.

Dear eM Client Team

I’m also coming to the point of having to switch every other e-mail between german and english. Lacking the feature of two languages activated (or an automatic recognition as MS Outlook does) is very disruptive. I hope you will implement that feature soon.

My other language is Korean, but there is no option for Korean spell checker. Is there a way to download one? At this point I would not mind manually switching back and forth between English and Korean as long as there is a dictionary for it. Thanks.

just switched to eMclient and like it a lot so far. However, I do write in french and english constantly (like every other email) and autodetect is HUGE for me. A toggle button that does not require going to the menu would already help…but its honestly not that difficult to auto-detect languages. I’ll give it another few weeks, but as of now, its a potential issue that will make or break the client for me.

Hi Alexis, you should be able to setup the application to switch between the spell check directories used for checking the composed message when you switch your keyboard language, if you’re using an english keyboard for composing english messages and french for french messages, switching between the directories should be really quick.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Thanks Paul – unfortunately I don’t change keyboards…and to be honest, I can’t imagine that anyone who does much switching of languages for emails does change keyboards. For me, its a constant switch between the two, so changing keyboards would be more of a pain even than clicking on the header. Autodetect in Outlook was great in my case – too bad I’m not a big fan of the rest of the program. It would be nice to see that feature in eM Client.

In another thread, I also brought up the point that there is no grammar check in different languages. For me, I don’t depend on it for english, but it is very handy in French. I don’t suppose this might be possible to add?

I’m getting the feeling that eM may not work out for me afterall given these issues…

I agree, changing keyboard layout is not an option. English is QWERTY, German is QWERTZ, there are other variants as well.

Hi, I know that the “multiple language function” is not planned for the near future, but, anyway, I’d like to say that this is the only (missing) feature that keep us (me and my company) stuck on Outlook…

Same here. Apple Mail lets me start writing in any language and change it as often as I want during a mail. It is very good in correcting it.
Minimum requirement is to have a “switch button”. That button would then switch the complete language into the wanted one. That should be easy to implement since I can do it manually.
Remember, your target market are international users. I am sure you can sell 50 more if you implement it. Another 50 if you allow “archiving” from the global inbox.
After all you should strive to make this the BEST mail product and not just another mail tool, that people might use or might not use.

I truly hope you read this.

i couldn’t agree more

I’m not sure it will help a lot, since this request is quite old and the team seems deaf or blind, but I couldn’t agree more!  ** We really need that functionality**, just like in Outlook. 

We understand that it can be hard to code and implement it but you should definitely consider it as a huge number of your customers are writing in several different languages. And when I say a lot of customers, it should be more than we can imagine with all the big companies and governmental services that seem to use your soft.

Please, we need an official reply that does not frustrate us.

It’s a shame that functionality is missing. I just recently moved to eM from Outlook and that’s what I miss the most !

As I wrote in another thread: "Man who says it cannot be done …

… should not interrupt man who is doing it" -->

(Thunderbird 45.4.0 with add on “Simple Locale Switcher”

Hello Peter,
in the reply from George he clearly states our team decided not to implement multi-language spellchecker, not that it is impossible. (Which your screenshot does not seem to show anyway)
Also, the spellchecker language can be easily changed by right-click>SpellCheck langauge setting in eM Client. For frequent change there is also the option with keyboard language (which I, personally, find quite useful).

Regards,
Olivia

Hello Olivia, 
thank you for pointing out this feature that I didn’t know (I don’t read manuals):
“Also, the spellchecker language can also be easily changed by right-click>SpellCheck langauge setting in eM Client.” 
This is all I need and I didn’t know it was available. I was not speaking about automatic language detection. On the other hand it would be nice if you could switch the spell checking language for highlighted passages of the text only, although I usually stick with one language per mail - except for quotations.

Peter

Hello Peter,
I suggest checking all the options in the Menu of the given window before you decide that a feature does not exist :wink:
Just a helpful tip for the future.

Best regards,
Olivia

Hi Olivia,

Unfortunately the original problem still persists. Changing the language has always been available.

I write e-mails in 3 different languages, every other e-mail is in a different language. I write about 30 to 40 emails a day. I know I can change the language, however it is time consuming and a bind doing it. Other mail clients allow me to use multiple dictionaries simultaneously. emClient does not.

This is a usability issue. emClient has enough other features that I won’t be going back to other clients, however this is something that is definitely on the minus side for us who work with multinational customers.

Regards.