Missing Contacts

Hi, am having trouble with entering Contacts, I can click on “New” and enter my contact details but as soon as I press “Save” they disappear off the screen. I am new to eM Client, yesterday I discovered that if I right click on the “From” field on my emails that I can enter Contacts that way. I got a few contacts entered that way, but when I went back to complete my contact list today, all my contacts have disappeared and I am not now able to re-enter them from my emails. Please help
David

Hi David, what version of eM Client are you currently using in eM Client? Can you please provide a step by step instructions on how you’re using your Contacts?
If you’re using an email account with a contacts service, you should be able to select the “Contacts” tab in the left pane and select your contacts folder, allowing you to view and edit all your contacts.

If you want to compose a message, just type the names/email addresses into the To field while composing a new message, or click on the “To” next to the field and select your contacts from selected folders.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Thanks Paul, I am using latest version, just installed 2 days ago and was pleased with how it imported all my email stuff from previous mail client which was Windows Mail.
So I currently have all five tabs showing in the left hand pane, Mail, Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, and Widgets. If I click on the Contacts Tab I get a screen that simply says “This folder contains no items and no operation can be performed” At the top of the screen, the menu items are File View Tools Help. Below that it has “New” and “Invite to eM Client” buttons
I can click on the New button and enter all the New Contact details but as soon as I click on the Save button, the new contact form disappears and I am back to the previous screen with no contacts listed.
As I said in my previous message, yesterday, I clicked on the Mail Tab and was able to go to a few emails and hover over the “From” field and then click on the “Add to Contacts” button. I was then able to see those contacts listed when I clicked on the Contacts Tab. I then shutdown my PC and when I resumed today, the contacts had disappeared.
When I now try to Add contacts from my emails, I get a box in the centre of the screen with that Contact Name shown, shown but the “Add to Folder” box below is blank so I am unable to select a folder. 
If I try to compose a New Email, when I click on “To”, it says "There are no contact to show in this view.
So in summary, when I click on the “Contacts” Tab, I should be able to select a folder? That doesnt work for some reason.
Help appreciated
David

Hi David, after you click on Contacts in the left pane, you should be able to see a list of your accounts with contacts folders, below them.
If you don’t see a single account this would point out to a non-existing contacts services, e.g. you don’t have any contacts synchronization service on your account (maybe you’re using a POP account). In that case you have to use “local folders” for storing your contacts.

To enable local folders, please go to Tools > Settings > General, and check the option “Show local folders”.

After you do so you should have a “local folders” listed in your contacts tab.
Open local folders and an select the Contacts folder below, you should be able to see all your saved contacts.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Thanks so much Paul, works fine now, that was the default setting. The more I get to grips with it, the more I like the program
David

Glad I could help, please make sure to let us know if you come across any other issues or questions, we’ll be happy to help.

Regards, Paul.

Thanks Paul! This has been driving me nuts over a couple of weeks, uninstalling, reinstalling, changing permissions… and it was so simple to correct!

I searched and found this thread which seemed to fit my problem.  I have been using EM Client for about a year now without too many problems.  I opened up today and under “Contacts” I found the same message as David had: “This folder contains no items…”
I have checked my Win7 folders and files and confirmed the “contact_data.dat” files etc are there. Also performed the fix above but without any luck.  How do I show (or re show) my contacts? (there are about 180!)

Regards
Bob

Were your contacts synced with an online provider like Google, or were they stored in Local Folders?

I actually do use Google for my email. However, the Contacts are stored in a local folder as in: C/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/eM Client/Local Folders on my Win7 laptop. They are not synced with Google (although, checking my iPhone and iPad, it is something I guess I should do - doh!)

Regards
Bob

Did you try searching for a contact that was there before?

But if they were in Local Folders and have mysteriously disappeared, then about all you can do is restore from your most recent backup.

Gary

Thanks for your reply.

I cannot search for an existing client as the “Contacts” page is blank apart from the message “This folder contains no items and no operation can be performed”.

This also applies to the “Tasks” page.

I believe I said the files still appear to be there, in “Local Folders” on C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/eM Client/Local Folders. So I guess the files are not lost but the link is broken.

Would a reload of the eM Client program work, to maybe add the lost link?  To do this, do I need to remove the original program first? If so, will I lose my original data files?

Regards

Bob

The folders and files are automatically created, so even if there is no data in eM Client, they will be there.

One thing you can try is to close eM Client and run C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\ DbRepair.exe. 

Reinstalling can be done without removing the installed version, as long as you are installing the same or newer version to what is there already. This will not affect the data.

I tried entering the Run command.  Once I get to (x86) I am told no files match my search.
I downloaded a fresh eM Client program 7.1.33101.0, same as I have.  When running setup I am given the choices of “Repair” or “Remove”. I selected Repair but the process quickly advises the specified program already exists. I click OK. I am then advised that setup is unable to run because of an error.

Like, yeah, I know!

Is it safe (for my data)  to remove the program then reinstall?

At the Run command enter the following (including the quotes): **"C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client**DbRepair.exe"

Or, open Windows Explorer.  Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\ then double click on the DbRepair.exe file.

eM Client has to be closed to do this.

Gary
I included the quotes - didn’t work
Used Explorer, ran DbRepair Application - No fault found

Looks like there is no issue with the database then. 

Local Folders are enabled, right?

If you can’t see the Local Folders, you can enable them in Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Show Local Folders.

Since initial installation I have not had Local Folders enabled yet I could see all my contacts OK. However, I did enable them yesterday when I followed the original fault on this thread.  I now get headings - Phone List, By Company etc.  Below that I get Full Name, File As etc. But still no data.

Regards
Bob

If you did not have Local Folder enabled, and you could see you contacts, that means they were on a server and not in Local Folders.

I think you might want to check with your email provider as to what happened to your contacts.

Thank you Gary.

FYI, I could (and always have) see my contacts in “Business Card” form.  Unlikely to see in that form from a server. You may not have noticed, by I advised I am having the same symptoms with “Tasks”

Separately, I have located my contacts on Google but have yet to link them to eM Client in Local Folders. I will have to look that up!

Also, I have a separate email address on Yahoo, but, when initially setting up eM Client, was unsuccessful in linking to eM Client as I had with Google. Possibly by using Local Folders I may be able to do this.

Regards

Bob