Migrating to new computer

Can anyone provide the process to move to a new computer? In particular, I have local folders to which I’ve copied email I want to keep.

From the eMC knowledgebase…

https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/default_import/Knowledgebase/Article/View/91/9/how-to-move-my-data-to-a-new-computer

1 Like

Thanks. My big struggle seems to be finding how to restore the backups I’ve been doing. I have those going to one drive a couple of times / day (can’t afford to lose some of this email). I don’t see where to do the restore.

To restore the backup you did with the eMC backup, goto Menu > File > Restore

1 Like

OK, I did all of this, but the installation abruptly quit, giving me the following error message…

System.IO.IOException: Access to the path ‘\?\C:\Users\pnals\AppData\Roaming\eM Client.bak’ is denied.
at System.IO.FileSystem.RemoveDirectoryInternal(String fullPath, Boolean topLevel, Boolean allowDirectoryNotEmpty)
at System.IO.FileSystem.RemoveDirectoryRecursive(String fullPath, WIN32_FIND_DATA& findData, Boolean topLevel)
at System.IO.FileSystem.RemoveDirectory(String fullPath, Boolean recursive)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(String backupFile, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.<>c__DisplayClass27_0.<MainForm_Load>b__0(Object a, DoWorkEventArgs b)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

I repeated this again, with the same result.

So… what do I do next?

\Paul

You did all of what? Please define the steps you took.

I performed the migration as explained in a previous post, here…

https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/default_import/Knowledgebase/Article/View/91/9/how-to-move-my-data-to-a-new-computer

… and it failed. It was a very straightforward article but it did not work for me!

I admit that the backup was huge, about 3.6 gig, but I don’t know if that was part of the problem or not. All I know is that I have a LOT of local folders where I store lots of information and I want to move all of these folders over to my new computer, and so far I have been unable to accomplish this chore.

\Paul

martes 27 julio 2022 :: 1544hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hey @palsing

First it is NOT recommenced to backup to OneDrive/Cloud etc, if you
want your backups at a separate location, create a dedicated partition
on your SSD.
A 3.6Gb backup should not be an issue though it will take a time to
create & restore.
I am not clear from what you say how you backed up to OneDrive,
¿was it via the eMC backup utility?

¿Was it the installation of eMC that failed or the backup restore?

Probably the easiest thing to do is to create a fresh new backup.
Before you do this check that the setting at:
Menu ->Settings ->General ->Backup ->Target directory ->is NOT to OneDrive
if it is change it to the default or somewhere else that suits you.
The default is …\Documents\eM Client (you will need to create the folder if it is not already there) then set the Target directory as above and do not forget to click Apply/OK
Once done copy this backup to your new computer & Restore.

One more thing to consider is that the size of the backup is NOT more than 4Gb (4194304kb) if you intend to copy to new computer on a USB, i fit is you will need to format the USB to accommodate.

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Hi Skybat,

I’m not sure where you got the idea that I’m backing up to OneDrive, because I am not, the backups go, as you say, to …\Documents\eM Client.

So, on my old computer, I perform a backup and I copy that zip file to an external hard drive. From the hard drive, I then copy the zip file into the …\Documents\eM Client on the new computer. Then, on the new computer, I go to the “restore” command, and it proceeds to unpack the zip file and chugs along until suddenly stopping, and gives me the error message as pasted into my original post.

I have tried this multiple times, I have uninstalled eM Client a couple of times and then did a fresh reinstall, and the result is always the same. It was my hope that someone here could interpret that error message for me because I know pretty much zero about the inner working of these machines.

This process is really quite straightforward and I am baffled as to why it isn’t working for me.

I also went to this page…

… and tried the second method there, which also failed… and this was also a very simple operation to perform. I just don’t get it.

Just FYI, when I originally wrote that the backup file was 3.6 gigs it was a typo… it is actually 6.3 gigs, if that makes any difference. I have a LOT of local folders that I want to migrate over to my new computer!

\Paul

It may be easier for you to just unpack the zip file yourself. You can open it in File Explorer, or your favorite zip app. With eM Client closed, copy the complete contents to C:\Users\pnals\AppData\Roaming\eM Client. Replace any existing files during the copy if asked.

Start eM Client when done.

Hi Gary, I already tried that… you get an error message telling you that “no backup files were found”, so apparently it is looking only for a zip file.

No, I said close eM Client and use File Explorer or some other app to extract the zip file to that folder.

When that is done start eM Client. That is all.

Hi Gary,

Well, I clearly was confused… but happily your suggestion worked perfectly! My eM Client on my old computer is now duplicated exactly on my new computer and all is well!

Thanks!

\Paul

1 Like

jueves 28 julio 2022 :: 0905hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hey @palsing

I’m not sure where you got the idea that I’m backing up to OneDrive,…

Sorry about that it was something another poster had said. Need to get new glasses.
Anyway, good news is that you are up and running again.
The steps that @Gary guided you through are worth remembering, maybe
the issue was caused by computer multi-tasking.

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.