Michael Farmer

Help. I have lost all my local mail folders (Version 7.1.33101.0) associated e-mails and contacts.
Is there any way I can recover them? It appears as if my account has been deleted.I have managed to recover recent e-mails by synchning with my Yahoo account but any mail that has been deleted from Yahoo is not avaialble.ie older e-mails which I dont keep on the Yahoo server but store in folders in eM Client.

Hi Michael,

Did you accidentally move or delete the eM Client database? However, if you have the Backup file available, you can restore from it in Menu > File > Restore.

Russel

Russel

I am not really sure what happened. One day the eM Client database was there with all the mail folders, the next day, on opening the database, all the mail folders were gone. After clicking on send/receive no mail was downloaded from the server.  The database was not intentionally deleted. No back up file was ever created to the best of my knowledge or would this have been done automatically? and if so where would the file be located?

At present I only have access to recent e-mails still on the server. Normally once downloaded from the server (Yahoo) i tend to sort them into Folders in the eM Client database and then delete them from the Server.

It is as if the whole account has been dleeted.

Any advise or suggestions as to how I can recoverthe account will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

The database is by default stored in C:\Users\your account\AppData\Roaming\eM Client. You need to enable displaying of hidden folders in order to see it.
The backup is usually stored in C:\Users\your account\Documents\BACKUP. 

Please check these directories for possible backup or the missing database.

Russel

Russel

I have checked these directories and discovered two folders, each of which contains three more folders that contain various DAT files.
The first folder dates back to 30th Oct 2018 when I attempted a restore after losing all the emails, folders and contacts. As a result I retrieved all the emails still on the Yahoo server.

The second folder also contains three file folders which in turn contain various DAT files. The folder creation date is October 2017, the date on which I purchased my current computer and subsequently installed eM Client and imported all data from my old computer.
It is all the emails in between these dates  that I am trying to recover.

I have no recollection of ever creating a BACKUP which probably explains why I cannot find any back up data.

I now have another problem whereby eM Client will not allow me to download any mail from the Yahoo server. I am getting error message saying
“Auto Configuration failed. An email server was detected however your credentials were rejected”
Diagnostics was unable to fix the error.

Any advice greatly appreciated?

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

Go to the Yahoo webmail security settings and see if the options: “Allow less secure apps” option is checked and the “Two step verification” is off. 

Russel 

Russel
I cannot find any security settings in the Yahoo webmail for Two step verification.
There is also no option for “Allow less secure apps”.

Strangely enough eM client has being working fine for the last few days, although I have still been unable to recover the previously lost emails.

I note that the server setting in Yahoo has mysteriously changed to IMAP from POP and now find that if I delete an email after viewing it on the Yahoo server it is also deleted from eM Client. Is there a way to keep the emails ineM Client even after deleting in Yahoo.

Following this change from POP to IMAP, would this account for all my emails stored in eMClient having been deleted as they were not kept on the Server?

Although having said that initially the WHOLE eM Client account was deleted and I only managed to recover the emails still on the Server by choosing the restore option.

Regards

Michael Farmer

Hi Michael,

It is very unlikely that eM Client would change the mail protocol from POP3 to IMAP on its own. However it’s the nature of IMAP protocol that it is 2-way synced with your server so every change on the server is reflected in your desktop client. If you wish to delete emails from Yahoo server and keep them in eM Client, I can recommend you either the archive feature of eM Client or moving the emails to the eM Client’s Local folders.

Russel

Russel

I have already discovered the local folder option in eM Client to retain emails after deleting from the server. I just wish I was using this option before losing all previous emails. I have read up on IMAP and now know of its two way synching but still at a loss to explain why the complete account was deleted from eM Client last month.
Previously i never used the local folder option so the mail was not permanently stored and why would all the emails in eM Client disappear but still exist on the Yahoo server??

Would Yahoo have changed to IMAP from POP without informing me of the consequences or has my eM Client database been updated to a later version without my knowledge?

Regards

Michael Farmer