Lots of problems with Gmail

@notMyUserName If you don’t want to see the All Mail folder after you setup Gmail in EMC, then just right click on All Mail folder and click “Hide”. The All Mail folder will then show under the +More menu at the bottom of the Gmail folders.

Note:- I personally do like seeing the All Mail folder near the top of my folders as if i eg: forgot where i moved and email to or accidently archived and email etc, i can go to All Mail straight away to see.

It’s not my seeing the folder that’s the problem. I don’t care about that. This is not an eM Client visibility setting. This is a Gmail IMAP server setting that specifies what Gmail Labels get mapped to IMAP folders that IMAP clients “see.” When a folder is “Made Visible” at Gmail then when IMAP clients get the list of folders at Gmail, that list includes that “Made Visible” folder. If you have email clients set to keep local copies of the IMAP folders then if you make All Mail (or any other folder) “Visible” then those IMAP clients will include that folder in the ones they know about and sync (download) the entire contents of that folder locally.

The problem is not seeing the folder shown in the folder list in the client but the fact that when Gmail makes “All Mail” “Visible” it kicks off, for me, due to Gmail limits, a sequence of downloads that will take like 2 weeks. Keeping me pretty much (the web interface still seems to work) locked out of Gmail while that happens. And I, me, myself, can’t have that.

@notMyUserName

due to Gmail limits

Sounds like then your issue is with Gmail directly (as per limit issues) , and u need to take that up with Google as @Gary advised either on their support forum. Gmail Community. Or contact them directly via phone if you are a Google GSuite (Workspace) or Google One customer.

Or… We could just use a different Windows 10 email client. Which do you think is a more productive path to achieving our objective? Which do you think we are going to do?

I’m sorry, but your posts are not helping at all.

This is an eM Client forum, so it is a bit cheeky to ask for recommendations of other email clients.

But I think you should go back to what you were using before, if that was working for you.

For God’s sake where am I saying that? You guys are simply getting angry for some reason, not reading my posts, posting incorrect information and then putting words in my mouth This is no reflection on eM Client which I can’t use for my use case but by all other appearances seems to be a fine email client but it is on on this forum: You two can have the last words. I’m not reading any more posts here.

You asked in this post:

1 Like

Sorry Gary & Cyberzork… I’ll put this gently… but, I think I get why notMyUserName is frustrated with your responses. He kept on trying to focus the issue, but it seemed like you guys missed his points. Nonetheless, it was great to see u’all try to help… you just gotta be less caustic when responding.

1 Like

On the other hand, @Gary and @cyberzork really tried to help. The magic words “thank you” sometimes help a lot when a user asks other users for help.

1 Like

He did not ask for recommendations.

They definitely did. After stating that they could just use a different email client, they asked:

I agree he ask for which we suggest.

But anyway, that was a side-track of the original question.

I gave the solution that for eM Client to work with Gmail, the default Gmail setting of having the All Mail folder enabled for IMAP needs to be restored.

Hi -

That was not my read of his comment. His full comment was in response to someone. The flow of conversation was:

cyberzork
[…]
Sounds like then your issue is with Gmail directly (as per limit issues) , and u need to take that up with Google as @Gary advised either on their support forum. Gmail Community . Or contact them directly via phone if you are a Google GSuite (Workspace) or Google One customer.

to which he responded:

notMyUserName

2d

Or… We could just use a different Windows 10 email client. Which do you think is a more productive path to achieving our objective? Which do you think we are going to do?

I’m sorry, but your posts are not helping at all…"

My read of his comments at first was simply that he was saying or he could choose some other email client. He wasn’t asking for help as to which one (in my read of it). On the contrary, he was disgusted, and was trying to say that his choices were either to take the advice of cyberzork or simply go on with his business and ignore all of this. His next question then were rhetorical and angry - they were a statement (not a question) that to him the answer was obvious - he would go on with his business and not take the unhelpful advice. I seriously doubt that he is the slightest bit interested in which other email clients are recommended in this thread, and, as far as I can tell, he has not asked for help identifying alternatives.

My read of his comments could be wrong, but that was how I read them. I was really surprised at some of the responses he then got. It seemed to me to make things worse, and indeed I then empathized with his point about “For God’s sake… (etc.).” So, in my fallible opinion, there’s some pretty strong miscommunication going on here.

There is no point in asking rhetorical questions on a question and answer forum.

But whatever the case, the original post that said eM Client was not working with Gmail HAS been solved.

I was just doing some testing and I noticed that eM Client now gives you a warning if you later disable the All Mail folder in your Google settings after it was working correctly:

I guess that says it all.

2 Likes

No it hasn’t. It still syncs All Mail and requires it, which for large mailboxes can cause gmail to lock you out.

Yes, google/gmail is the provider and has throttling limits that cause problems. HOWEVER - it is eMC’s choice to force only the use of syncing All Mail as the only way to interact with gmail.

I have a large folder as well, and had to enable All Mail for eMC to work. It was a painful first week or so while everything got sorted, and then it’s been painful every so often when there would be a crash and it would resync, but since the most recent update (8.2.something as of 2021-10-20) gmail has started having connection issues and it forces a resync on all mail again which slows EVERYTHING down.

I get it, syncing all mail for small boxes is easy. Syncing one big folder to get all the labels and make folders (gmail) is easier than getting a list of subscribed folders and trying to keep each of them in sync (regular IMAP).

The All Mail sync seriously falls over with large mailboxes, especially when things trigger a full resync of All Mail again. It’s a bad design because, quite simply, it doesn’t scale. That these types of threads or comments occasionally pop up help to show that.

However, what’s REALLY bad, and bordering unforgivable in my opinion, is that eMC supports NORMAL imap systems yet will NOT let the user configure a gmail connection to behave as regular IMAP - it forces the user to use the gmail sync option only. eMC should give the USER the choice how to connect to gmail – as a normal imap provider, or the gmail sync interface pulling in All Mail. eMC does not do this, and there’s no reason not to. It’s not like they’d have to write a proper imap interface, they already have one for regular IMAP hosts. In fact they had to do extra work to create a gmail sync that was different than the IMAP interface, though that was likely done a while ago before gmail supported IMAP.

I say all of this as a paying user of eMC. It is one of my biggest annoyances about eMC.

Sadly, after an exhaustive search and trial of about 8 different Windows email clients, eMC checked more boxes of the features I use and want, so taking the bad with the good, I bought it. Here’s hoping the next major version addresses some of the glaring issues.

[Yes I know I’ve essentially just resurrected an old thread. It popped up when I was doing some more research on All Mail sync issues because it’s once again causing me headaches this week. Seeing “the original post…HAS been solved” just really irked me, because the issue being reported was about the All Mail sync being a problem, and that most definitely has NOT been solved.]

1 Like

For “All Mail” of Gmail, I am also confused.

When I used eM for the first time, I didn’t know that eM needs to synchronize All Mail. I canceled the synchronization of All Mail in gmail by default , but eM can not work normally and reminded me that I must synchronize All Mail.

I used Thunderbird before, and it doesn’t need to sync All Mail.

I want to know, in eM, synchronizing All Mail folder, does it mean that all emails of Gmail in my computer are duplicates?

Gmail only has one folder for your normal messages, and that is All Mail. Those message then have labels which are used to display the messages in virtual folders you see as Inbox, Sent etc.

Whichever sync model you use, so either syncing just All Mail, or just syncing all the individual labels from All Mail, the bandwidth required is pretty much the same.

Yes, unfortunately your provider does limit how much you can sync in a day, (I think a Workspace account is 2.5GB/day for IMAP download, not sure what a free account is) and this will be the same whatever email application or sync model you use. So if the initial sync ends because of the restriction, it will continue when the restriction has been lifted.

A full sync of All Mail only happens when you initially setup the account, or if you later repair that folder.

1 Like

(Gmail current bandwidth limits)

https://support.google.com/a/answer/1071518

Quotes from the above Google link:-

“For the health and safety of our systems and your account, all Google Workspace accounts limit Gmail bandwidth. Some activities that transfer large amounts of data in a short period of time, such as syncing a Gmail account to a mobile phone or mail client, can cause a Gmail account to reach the bandwidth limit”.

“The following Gmail bandwidth limits apply to all Google Workspace editions. These limits may change without notice to protect Google’s infrastructure”.

Gmail bandwidth limits

Limit Per hour Per day
Download with web client 750 MB 1250 MB
Upload with web client (includes emails sent via Gmail SMTP) 300 MB 1500 MB

POP and IMAP bandwidth limits

Limit Per day
Download with IMAP 2500 MB
Download with POP 1250 MB
Upload with IMAP 500 MB